Author Topic: Obediah & Francis Surridge baptisms 1640's  (Read 268 times)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Obediah & Francis Surridge baptisms 1640's
« on: Wednesday 01 March 23 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I am looking for the baptism of these two brothers Obediah & Francis Surridge between 1630 and 1650 (be imaginative with the spelling, I have had to use s*dg* to find later records and in some cases just *dg*).

I have come across baptisms at St Clement Danes and was hoping someone with access to the actual register may be able to look for any missing information:
     Obediah with no surname and no relatives in 1640
     Francis with no surname and no relatives in 1647

Any help is always appreciated,

Colin
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Obediah & Francis Surridge baptisms 1640's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 23 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Obediah with no surname and no relatives in 1640

From the image of the parish register: "obedia a childe found in the street" baptised 26th June 1640.

Francis with no surname and no relatives in 1647

I can only see Frances?: "Frances a female child found in the street" baptised 26th May 1647.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Obediah & Francis Surridge baptisms 1640's
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 23 10:44 GMT (UK) »
According to Boyd’s London Families, Obadiah Surridge who married Ann Edwards at St George Southwark in 1666 was a porter, a Citizen and a Weaver. This means he was a member of the Weavers’ Company of the City of London. If a record survives of his apprenticeship binding in that Company, it may give his father’s name.

The Weavers’ records aren’t online. They’re at Guildhall Library, London, where a personal visit is needed. As he married in 1666, he might just have squeezed into the earliest register of bindings (MS 04657B, from 1655). He might also be referenced in the court minute books, although there are gaps, and any entry there may not name his father.

How sure are you that Obadiah and Francis were brothers and were born in London? Many apprentices who were bound in the City originated from outside London.