Author Topic: Joseph Hunter  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Kelotrbrbr05

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Hunter
« on: Wednesday 01 March 23 23:02 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on Jospeh Hunter born 1820 in Aberdeen. Mothers name is Sarah Jackson. Sometime in his early years he moved to Ireland. Any information whatsoever would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Lori Hunter Colburn

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Hunter
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 March 23 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Can't find any obvious information.

What is your source of the information that he was born in 1820 and that his mother's name was Sarah Jackson?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 March 23 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - wrong info - reply removed

The only Joseph Humter b 1820 Aberdeen I can see is on a Family tree on Ancestry - parents Alexander & Margaret nee Henry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Kelotrbrbr05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 23 21:23 GMT (UK) »
The only information I have is from handwritten family documents. Also all of the US Census from his children show different places of birth, from England, Scotland and Ireland. I do know that the church with all of this family's documents burned down in Northern Ireland. Not sure where else I can find information. He owned land and then lost it. I tried to look for land deeds but nothing and not sure I looked in the right area. This is all around Londonderry, Ireland. The early 1800's are hard to find information. UGH

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 March 23 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I don't quite follow - if
this is all around Londonderry
what is your evidence that he was born in Aberdeen?

Can you tell us please what each US census says about his age and birthplace? Also, if any of his family members were born in Scotland, their ages as well.

Also, what religious denomination was he?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kelotrbrbr05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 March 23 20:05 GMT (UK) »
My Great Aunt did this research back in the 70's and 80's. So I have her documents that he was born in Aberdeen. Other than that I can't find anything. One son's census say that Joseph was born in England, Mother (Rebecca) in Scotland and the son (also Joseph) was born in Ireland. Another son (Hugh) put that both were born in Ireland.

My Great Aunt's documents says Joseph Sr. was born in Scotland. Most of the other censes from Nebraska says Joseph Sr. was born in Ireland. I found one Joseph Hunter born in 1820 in Aberdeen but wrong parents name. Also Hugh put that he was born in the US but he was actually born in Ireland. Hugh was on the ship with his mother that arrived in the US. So since Hugh lied, I'm not totally sure what year he was born.

I do know that Joseph owned land in Dungiven, Ireland but signed a note for a friend and he ended up loosing that land. So that is why he decided to come to the US. I found the ship that my Grandmother was on with her kids. So I know they left from Londonderry on that ship.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 March 23 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Who were the children that were born in Ireland?

Is this the family showing here www.findagrave.com/memorial/26336184/joseph-hunter

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 March 23 20:21 GMT (UK) »
So you don't actually have an original primary source document saying that he was born in Scotland, never mind Aberdeen?

Have you actually found Joseph himself in a census?

Experience tells me to be wary of the findings of great-aunts who took an interest in the family tree in the middle of the 20th century :)

I inherited a lot of papers from one of mine, but I think she had just been copying anything and everything she came across that mentioned a particular surname that had been bestowed on her as a middle name. I have certainly never managed to sustain the link she thought existed between that surname and a very interesting and genuinely historic event.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 March 23 20:48 GMT (UK) »
They are on the censuses. I can't link to an entry on FS, but from the transcripts:

1881, in Salem, Kenosha, Wisconsin:

Joseph Hunter 59 farmer b. Ireland
Rebbecca Hunter 54 b. Ireland
John Hunter 21
Maria Hunter 17
Henry Hunter 13

1871, in Salem, Kenosha, Wisconsin:

Joseph Hunter 50 farmer b. Ireland
Rebecca Hunter 44 b. Ireland
William Hunter 15
Mary Hunter 13
John Hunter 9