Author Topic: RootsWeb - hosted websites to become read-only  (Read 309 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
RootsWeb - hosted websites to become read-only
« on: Thursday 02 March 23 14:08 GMT (UK) »
There's a notice at RootsWeb to the effect that the websites which they host will become read-only early next year, so anyone who wishes to keep their site active and updated will need to find another host. RootsWeb (and their owner, Ancestry) haven't as yet seen fit to notify me directly of this, as a site manager, but I've picked up a few messages about it elsewhere. The announcement is at

https://support.rootsweb.com/s/article/Retiring-and-Migrating-Portions-of-RootsWeb

The article also mentions forthcoming changes to their mailing list archives and WorldConnect trees, which take effect much sooner.

One implication of the change to hosted sites is that anyone who relies on data provided by one of them will need to get what they need in good time, in case the site manager decides to completely remove it instead.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: RootsWeb - hosted websites to become read-only
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 23 09:50 GMT (UK) »
RootsWeb (and their owner, Ancestry) haven't as yet seen fit to notify me directly of this

Quite. Me neither. Shows an utter disregard for us, and all our hard work. And how long will they leave our pages up, even as read-only?

I'm looking at alternatives, but as I'm not as young as I was, I'm also taking the opportunity to try some succession planning. Then I'll have to completely revamp the pages, probably into Wordpress. Lot of hard work ahead.
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake