Author Topic: Post WW 2 UK military operations in Germany  (Read 278 times)

Offline AntonP

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Post WW 2 UK military operations in Germany
« on: Friday 03 March 23 06:03 GMT (UK) »
I have been tracing the movements of a German naval rating who as a POW worked for the Special Operations Executive. In July 1945 he and a few other Bonzos (German POWs who worked for the SOE) were flown to Lunenburg. He was in ME 42 operating under the auspices of C1 21 Army group.
Can anyone tell me what ME 43 and C 1 might be?

The work that they might have been doing was being put into German POW camps, masquerading as German POWs, to suss out hiding middle rank nazis or for interrogations purposes of POWs. Before the war he had spent a short time with family in Hamburg so this might have been a natural place to send him. Alternately his young life was spent in the state of Thuringia near the town of Crimmichau and also near some of the terrible concentration camps..

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Post WW 2 UK military operations in Germany
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 23 08:09 GMT (UK) »
German surrender at Lüneburg Heath
On 4 May 1945, at 18:30 British Double Summer Time, at Lüneburg Heath, south of Hamburg, Field Marshal Sir Bernard Law Montgomery accepted the unconditional surrender of the German forces in that region.

Your man may have been flown to Luneburg for administrative reasons - presumably then the HQ of 21 Army Group.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 March 23 11:00 GMT (UK) »
"A mysterious SOE unit, known as ME 42, was attached to the military intelligence component of Field Marshal Montgomery's 21 Army Group, in Germany..... "

See https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/MI6/_bV5ncXNke4C?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=SOE+ME42&pg=PA98&printsec=frontcover

Also some documents at TNA regarding ME42:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5042123
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5042124
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C235229
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 23 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure it's C1?  I think CI (or C-I) for counter-intelligence is more likely. The British still referred to intelligence and counter-intelligence in that way; the Americans referred to it as G2 (ie the second section the General Staff, where G3  dealt with operations and G4 with Logistics etc).

Offline AntonP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 March 23 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Tony, thanks info. I did not realise Lunenburg was the base for the army HQ.

Shaun, thanks very much for that info re the book on MI6. Extremely interesting and yes it seems as if my guy was certainly part of the German POW contingent with that group. I have got the National archive files which is how I traced my man to Lunenburg.

Andy, you are probably right I am looking at photos of old SOE typewritten docs on cheap flimsy war time paper so it is likely CI.

The POWs would have probably been at the bottom of the staff pile and just been dogsbodies and done the drudge work. I know from the SOE files that many were 'infiltrated' back into POW camps holding German troops, to see if any nazi's were in hiding there and also to listen to the general soldiers' comments about politics and their situation for feedback. I assume that being relatively unimportant in the scheme of things, immediately after the war, their service records and release details have not been kept? But I am constantly amazed at what is available if you just know where to look. I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions as to where this sort of info might be if it still existed?
From the old SOE files, these men would be released as soon as officials in Germany felt they had served their purpose and they were never to be returned to the UK.
Again from SOE personnel records my man was fervently anti-nazi and wanted to return to Germany to help rebuild it. So it seems likely that he would have stayed in Germany after his release.
Again, I really appreciate your comments and help.
Anton