Author Topic: Mollie Irene Stacey + Leonard Douglas Stacey  (Read 899 times)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mollie Irene Stacey + Leonard Douglas Stacey
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 04 March 23 21:03 GMT (UK) »
This might be full of typing errors.

And yes, it would have been terribly painful for these children. Grab a box of tissues, and read on...

Wells Journal 09 November 1911

CHILDREN NEGLECTED

At the Borough Police Court, on Thursday, before the Mayor (Mr. M. H. Stead) and Mr. J. B. Clark, Frank Stacey, a labourer, of Glastonbury, and his wife, Emma Jane Stacey, were summoned by Ernest Alford of Taunton, one of the inspectors of the N.S.P.C.C., for wilfully neglecting their three children, Dorothy Stacey (7 years), Leslie Wilfred Stacey (4 years), and Nellie Stacey (1 year and 9 months), in a manner likely to cause them unnecessary suffering or injury to their health. --Mr. A.J. Mawer, of Wells, prosecuted on behalf of the Society.
There was also a charge of vagrancy against the woman of sleeping out on the 27th October and she had been locked up on remand since that day, and was now sentenced to one day's imprisonment, which meant her dismissal at the rising of the Court. -- The case of neglect was then proceeded with. -- the man, when asked to plead, said "I am guilty of not providing a home for them," and the woman said "I have done my best for the children."
Mr. Mawer having opened the case, called P.C. Hillman, who said at quarter to one on the morning of October 27th he found the female defendant and her three children asleep in a shed in Cinnamon-lane.  He awoke them.  the children were cold, and the boy said "I am hungry and tired." The eldest child also commenced to cry, and he brought them to the station.  It was a cold night, and the children were poorly clad considering the weather.  He afterwards communicated with the relieving officer, and they were taken to the Workhouse.  He had known the defendants for three years, and had frequently warned them about exposing their children.  they had had no home since December 1910.  He saw the man Stacey the previous night in the Rifleman's Arms.  He had seen the man the worse for drink, and he had seen the woman "when the pavement was not wide enough for her to walk on."  The children seemed fairly well nourished except the youngest child.
Mr. W. Fear, relieving officer, of Glastonbury, said the mother had applied for relief on several occasions, and she was in the Workhouse from March 8th until June 3rd, when she took her discharge.  she re-entered the House on June 10th, and took her discharge again on August 12th.  Her children always accompanied her.  He took her and the children to the Workhouse on October 27th.
Miss Francom, assistant matron at the Wells Workhouse, said the children were very dirty and neglected when admitted to the House.  they were now improving in health.
Inspector Alford said when he saw the woman she admitted they had been sleeping out, and he warned her against this, and she promised she would go into the Workhouse.
Mr. Mawer said the male defendant had one month's imprisonment on July 3rd, 1911, for failing to maintain his wife and children.
The Mayor said the case was fairly well known to him, and to his colleagues to some extent.  the story told to them revealed a state of parental neglect which they felt was not common, at least in Glastonbury.  They intended ti deal drastically with the defendants, and as the man was primarily responsible he would have to go to gaol for three months with hard labour.  The woman had also contributed to the neglect, and as she was a strong, healthy woman, she could have kept the children clean.  She would be sentenced to six weeks' imprisonment with hard labour.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 04 March 23 21:35 GMT (UK) »
That is such a sad story.

I can’t make out what is after the signature on Marion’s cert but it looks to me like it says ‘per’ with some initials after the one for William. It doesn’t appear to be Leslie’s handwriting on this one…looks perhaps more like a copy that has his sigature re-written by someone?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 04 March 23 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I can’t make out what is after the signature on Marion’s cert but it looks to me like it says ‘per’ with some initials after the one for William. It doesn’t appear to be Leslie’s handwriting on this one…looks perhaps more like a copy that has his sigature re-written by someone?
PB

I think I was secretly hoping it was an alias surname, because he is evading us on passenger lists!

I think the article says enough to figure out why he has problems with his parents' first names, but the "being born in N.S" is baffling.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 04 March 23 22:27 GMT (UK) »

Great detective work bbart.  It is certainly very strange that Leslie Wilfred/Leslie William etc etc
eludes us on passenger lists.  Wonder if he was fostered out or adopted by another family  :-\

Will leave you with this one bbart, you are doing so well.  :)

Cheers
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 04 March 23 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I think I have run out of ideas of where to look. :-\

And the attached (from Jan 1943) is baffling me...  it says her husband died about 14 months previously, which is probably this one:
1941 Stacey, Frank age 67 registered in Wells  5c 1245

I can't see this being the ones we are looking at?

EDIT:  Corrected the year from 1944 to 1943

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 04 March 23 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Well, it would now appear, having found Frank's obit, he was the "famous footballer" IF he is the Frank that appears with Emma in Glastonbury on the 1939.

Leonard Charles Chivers born 1897 IS Frank's son, another long article.
Frank was a shoe maker by trade.

Alan, there are so many articles on these people, if you want them, and can't access them, I suggest that you send an email address through private message to me so I can just "clip" them and send them all.

Offline alanjean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 05 March 23 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning All. (GMT)

Thanks for all your messages yesterday.
Two things you might be able to help with.
Leslie's obituary if one exist, and any record of any children he had with his first wife.
Did his first wife die?
Tall order.
Alan

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 06 March 23 04:24 GMT (UK) »
No luck finding anything at all about Edna Warwood, or her parents, before or after that marriage.

They were married in 1929, and this coming June, the 1931 Canadian census will be released, so that might show something.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Loose end tidy up…

There is a baptism for another Leonard Charles Chivers 11 Feb 1897 at St Cuthbert’s Wells. Parent Emma Chivers single woman, abode Union. This looks like a good match for the GRO birth record in Wells.

And…

I haven’t had any luck looking for info about Edna Warwood either.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.