Author Topic: Who are Sarah Callear & son Thomas Callear (as featured in the 1841+1851 census)  (Read 494 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Because…..no obvious baptism for Gabriel senior?
Do you think he is the one buried 1823 age 50?
Which of the Thomas births is yours  (senior Thomas, the husband of Elizabeth Speed?)

Offline SiCallear

• RootsChat Senior
  • One day my family history will become Callear!!
    • View Profile
Re: Who are Sarah Callear & son Thomas Callear (as featured in the 1841+1851 census)
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 March 23 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from Robert; brother of Thomas b.1769 (who married Elizabth Speed and had a son Thomas b/d 1802)
Callear/Gallear and a growing list of (mis)spellings

One day my family history will become Callear!!

Offline SiCallear

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Who are Sarah Callear & son Thomas Callear (as featured in the 1841+1851 census)
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 March 23 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I have only researched as far back at Thomas and Robert's parents (William & Phillis). To connect Gabriel (and the other Thomas), it seems I would need to go back further - the connection could be just a generation away.....

Offline SiCallear

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 March 23 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I revisited my maths and I'm now doubting the connection of Thomas & Elizabeth to my tree. In 1821, both Thomas & Elizabeth are aged 57 (year of birth = ~1764).

According to a copy taken from some old microfiche records, the Thomas that is on my tree was christened Oct 15 1769 in Wellington.

The microfiche simply reads: Callier, William - William Callier/Phillis - M - C - 13Oct1769 - Wellington

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 02:05 GMT (UK) »
I don’t think 5 years is enough to worry about.
There are lots of mentions of Rootschat about age discrepancies due to the fact needing to know your exact date of birth is a very modern thing.  People just guessed. Especially those who were illiterate.