Author Topic: Is this my Robert Richardson?  (Read 238 times)

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is this my Robert Richardson?
« on: Friday 03 March 23 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Would be grateful for another opinion on this...

Trying to follow up on one of my ancestor Ralph Richardson 's brothers.

Robert Richardson chr. Lamesley of "Pasture House" 1823 parents William Richardson, coal miner,  and Mary Stephenson, Dau of Lancelot Stephenson. I believe Pasture House was slightly north of Lamesley towards Wrekenton/Eighton Banks. By 1827 the family lived at Wrekenton as William died there.

Robert is on 1841 census with brothers Ralph and Lancelot and Ralph's future wife Mary Race living at Middle Rainton.

Marriage certificate aug 28th 1847 at West Rainton, abode of both parties Middle Rainton ,
Spouse Mary Grieveson, of full age, no father for her, Robert a pitman, full age , son of William, pitman. Witnesses Lancelot Richardson, Margaret Barross (could be a friend, can't yet find a family link to her)

Found a bapt of a Mary Ann Grieveson, mother Elizabeth at Rainton 1827. Date and place fits following censuses.

So far so good, but then Following through censuses and children's birth registrations it gets a bit trickier...

1851 Middle Rainton
Robert Richardson 27 miner b. Eighton Banks
Mary Richardson 24 b. Middle Rainton
No children with them.

Eighton Banks not too far adrift as a birthplace, and age correct

1861 Monkwearmouth
Robert Richardson 35 b. Wrekenton (still ok as a birthplace, age approximately ok)
Mary.                         34 b. Rainton
William.                     10 b.    "
Elizabeth.                     8 b.    "
Robert.                          3 b. Hetton
Ralph.                            1 b. Seaton

Birth regs William reg 1851 Houghton le Spring mmn GREENER, chr Nov 1851 W Rainton mmn GRANTON
                  Elizabeth reg 1853 HLS mmn GREENER
                   Robert reg 1857 Easington mmn GRIEVESON
Ralph (Newrick see 1871) reg 1860 Easington birth cert obtained born Jan,  Seaton colliery mmn GREENER

1871 Monkwearmouth
Robert 47'. B. Ravensworth NBL ! Should be Durham
Mary  43 b. West Rainton
William 19 b.west Rainton
Elizabeth 17'b. Murton
Robert 15. B.Murton
Ralph Newrick 11 b. Seaton
Lancelot 8 b. Seaton. Reg 1862 Sunderland mmn GREENER
Margaret 5 b.Monkwearmouth reg Easington 1866 mmn GRIEVESON

1881 Southwick, Sunderland I think this is Robert staying with his son

Robert Richardson 24 b Murton ship yd lab
Mary J. Richardson wife 26 b. Shiny Row
George k Richardson 12 MTH b Sunderland
Robert Richardson widowed boarder 55 b Black Fell Dur

Do you think I have the right Robert through all the censuses?

Why are some children reg with mother  as Greener and some as  Grieveson? Is it poor handwriting?
Did Mary use 2 surnames ?

There is a Michael Richardson married in 1850 to Ann Greener Robinson, and some ancestry trees erroneously have Ralph Newrick Richardson attached to them.  Have I found their children's records, and mine weren't registered?

What's going on, help!
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is this my Robert Richardson?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 23 22:06 GMT (UK) »
It may be Mary's mother used two names? Interesting baptism in Rainton in 1831 of a Matthew Greener, son of Elizabeth

There's a Peter Greener / Elizabeth Grievson marriage but it's in 1819: https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817d134e93790eb7f9f8940/elizabeth-grieveson-peter-greener-marriage-durham-houghton-le-spring-1819-03-20?locale=en

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 March 23 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I note that there is a marriage of a Peter Greener and Elizabeth Grieveson in Houghton le Spring 20 March 1819.

There is a baptism for a George Greener in Houghton le Spring with parents Peter and Elizabeth in 1821.  Peter's occupation is given as pitman. However a further baptism for a daughter Jane Greener in March 1823 has Peter's occupation as soldier. The nearest I can see re a service record for Peter Greener is one for a Peter Graner of Houton who signed up 1 Oct 1822 and was discharged 12 Jan 1841. Pure surmise but might Elizabeth have had Mary Ann while Peter was overseas meaning he was not Mary Ann's father? .

There is incidentally a baptism for a John Greener in West Rainton 26 July 1829 . Interestingly the transcripts I can see of this baptism from the parish records name his parents as Peter and Elizabeth.However if you look at the Bt for this baptism it has no father named and simply states his mother as Elizabeth Greener , single woman.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-XKP9-MV6?i=31&wc=9K5S-T3L%3A13618101%2C27228401%2C26601602&cc=1309819

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 23 23:28 GMT (UK) »
This is the BT of the baptism of Matthew Greener noted by Mabel Bagshawe.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-XKP9-M3K?i=108&wc=9K5S-T3L%3A13618101%2C27228401%2C26601602&cc=1309819

Interesting to note that in this case Peter's name has been crossed out and mother is again named as Elizabeth Greener, single woman. ( Again might be worthy of note that on one site Matthew's surname has been transcribed as Graner).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 March 23 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Millmoor and Mabel Bagshaw. I think this is very plausible. I am going to follow up on the Greener children. So far I have spotted a Peter Greener b Tyneside with wife Elizabeth born Morpeth in the 1851 census living at Hetton le Hole.
There is also an Elizabeth Dalglish with a Mary Ann and John Greener of the right ages in the 1841 census to mull over. Perhaps Elizabeth took up with a Dalglish while Peter was in the army!? More work needed on that.

John Greener may be the one married to Isabella and in the 1861 census, born Houghton . Matthew seems to have died young. Jane Greener b Middle Rainton is working there as a servant in 1851.

I do think I have the right Robert Richardson now.

Kind regards,
 Helen
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 March 23 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Worth having a look at Peter Greener living in Crook and Billy Row in the 1861 census showing as army pensioner. His age might be an issue . With him is wife Elizabeth born Urpeth ( might Morpeth in earlier census be a mix up?).

Durham Chronicle 11 Dec 1868 has a death notice for Peter Greener

Easington Lane 9th Mr Peter Greener , formerly a gunner in the Royal Artillery, aged 76.

There are also transcripts for his burial at Hetton Le Hole.

Elizabeth Greener may have been buried in January 1871 at Houghton Le Spring. Transcripts of this burial state she was in Houghton poor house.

William

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 March 23 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William,
There's also an Elizabeth Greener, pauper in the 1871 census in Pittington, but she may be the one living there in 1861, so it could be either in the poor house.

Lots to follow up on!
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 March 23 10:08 GMT (UK) »
There's a Peter Greener without Elizabeth in 1841 coalminer at Haswell. The Elizabeth with him in 1851 could even be a different person to his errant wife, if they were still estranged.
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS