Author Topic: Edward Muzzell marriages  (Read 179 times)

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Harry and 3 of my uncles.
    • View Profile
Edward Muzzell marriages
« on: Friday 03 March 23 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, after trying every combination of the surname Muzzell I can only find one that partially fits the criteria.
I have 3 likely candidates 1863, 1874 and 1883.
The 1863 is the base born son of Sarah who later marries a Genner and her son Edward takes the surname and marries Jane Outhwaite in Hartlepool so that eliminates him.
The 1874 is another base born son of another Sarah baptised Hove 29 Mar 1874 the birth is not registered and he does not appear again.
That brings us to the 1883 and where the problems arise Edward Muzzell born Haywards Heath 23 Mar 1883 marries Florence Alice Hayward 30 Jul 1904 banns St Wilfrid, Haywards Heath but marriage registered Tunbridge, in 1939 register he is with her and family and dies 1952.
The next marriage is Edward Muzzell and Mary Bourne(nee Mitchell) a widow 24 Jul 1922 banns were held at both Lindfield and St Wilfrid, Haywards Heath. In 1939 register Mary is with her son from first marriage and entered as widow again. She died 1953 using surname Muzzell.
The next marriage is Edward Muzzell and Elizabeth Cheeseman, St Wilfrid, Haywards Heath 19 Jun 1922 this marriage has certified 19 June written across it but was never registered.
Sorry for the long intro but now you can see my problem and the research that has gone into it. Any help greatly appreciated.
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Muzzell marriages
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 23 19:40 GMT (UK) »
1883 Edward and Florence Alice are in the same household in 1921 and appear on electoral registers together throughout the 1920s

I read the Elizabeth Cheeseman banns as certified January 1922 - but agree I can;t find the marriage [Added - wasn't looking properly - the banns were in June!]

The other wedding is with Mabel not Mary Bourne
1925 she and her Edward are resident in 6 Albert Cottage, Lindfield
1926 they're in 58 Queens Place Haywards Heath. Florence and 1883 Edward appear on the same page of the alphabetical electoral register. She's then not seen again until 1934/5 on her own in 60 Queens Road

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 March 23 19:44 GMT (UK) »
A probate record helps clear a bit of the mystery

James Edward Muzzell of 60 Queens Road, Haywards Heath died Brighton 17 March 1933. Administration to Mabel Muzzell, widow, and Caroline Sanderson (wife of James Sanderson)

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Harry and 3 of my uncles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 23 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant thanks, I put Mary instead of Mabel by mistake. So glad you found his death and probate there were 2 James Edwards the other was 1892 but thanks to your help I could determine ours is 1884. Thanks again, Pete
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse