Author Topic: Bastardy Court  (Read 357 times)

Offline sooty tern

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bastardy Court
« on: Friday 03 March 23 20:29 GMT (UK) »
My earliest BLAND ancestor was John Laycock Bland, born in Baildon, Yorkshire in 1827 the son of the "single woman" Sarah Bland. Ancestry has a record of a Sally Bland receiving £1 "previous to filiation" awarded by a Bingley & Haworth court, in 1827. Presumably this was to tide her over until the father could be established and made to pay up. Baildon came under Otley parish and I can't find any reference to a court in Bingley or Haworth. I would like to find out whether there was an actual court case involving the supposed father. Can anyone advise on what court was involved in such cases and how to follow them up? Ancestry doesn't have anything else relating to this Sally Bland as far as I can see.

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy Court
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 23 22:08 GMT (UK) »
There was a recent thread on illegitimate children here:
RootsChat.Com »General »The Common Room General tips re: illegitimate children
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=870336.0

This highlights Newspapers often reported on "Affiliation" cases ordering the father to pay monies to the mother, or on subsequent cases when the father didn't pay. I have found cases under "Police News" or some similar heading in the newspaper.

I think the cases were typically heard in either Quarter Sessions or Petty Sessions.  The local record office often holds these records (where they still exist). Someone with Yorkshire expertise may be able to give you more specific advice where to look.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 March 23 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Maybe the previous was to cover cost of midwife or doctor before regular maintenance for the child's upkeep was established
I have seen medical costs on an affiliation order

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 March 23 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Baildon came under Otley parish and I can't find any reference to a court in Bingley or Haworth. I would like to find out whether there was an actual court case involving the supposed father. Can anyone advise on what court was involved in such cases and how to follow them up?

Anything relevant will be held at West Yorkshire Archives, who will answer free of charge any general enquiries about their holdings.
archives@wyjs.org.uk

Offline sooty tern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 March 23 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all who responded. It seems that the Bingley Petty Sessions came under Keighley District, but records in WYAS Wakefield for that area only start at 1844. I am yet to follow up with newspapers.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 March 23 13:38 GMT (UK) »
It seems that the Bingley Petty Sessions came under Keighley District, but records in WYAS Wakefield for that area only start at 1844.
Yes, but court records aren't the only potential resource for this enquiry. It might be worth asking WYAS if there are any Overseers' minutes or accounts for Otley around 1827, because these might reference the affiliation order.