Author Topic: John Bennett born about 1887  (Read 724 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Bennett born about 1887
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 March 23 01:53 GMT (UK) »
On his WW1 service records, his next of kin is given as his Aunt Sarah Dogherty, Ferry St, Portferry, Ireland

What is the word crossed out and replaced by 'Aunt' - is it 'Friend'?

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 March 23 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Neale1961 is right - you need to look at his marriage certificate to see what it says were the names of his parents. It's indexed twice in the NSW indexes in 1952, with his wife's name shown as Charlott (not Charlotte) Hayek. Looks as if she was Charlotte Fulton, and married William Hayek in Canterbury in 1908.

Could he have been married and widowed before he married Charlotte Fulton or Hayek? And if so, might his earlier marriage certificate give more information?

John and Charlotte were already together before her husband's death in 1931.  In 1930 they are at 38 Walker Street, Waterloo as John BENNETT, labourer, and Lottie HAYEK, Home Duties.  In 1931 John is at 87 Kellick Street, Charlotte is at 38 Walker Street, and strangely Charlotte's daughter Hulda is at 87 Kellick Street, though I think that Charlotte's entry is probably just a failure to provide change of address.  From 1933 they are both at Kellick Street as BENNETT.

It seems possible that John was married if they waited another 20 years.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 March 23 02:57 GMT (UK) »
On his WW1 service records, his next of kin is given as his Aunt Sarah Dogherty, Ferry St, Portferry, Ireland
I tried to work that out yesterday, and came away with no conclusion, and eye strain.
I wondered if it was “relative” or “Ireland”. It seems to be longer than “friend”, but I don’t really know.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 March 23 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to Neale1961 & Dundee for their replies.
Much appreciated
Regards
clancam37
Duplicate thread
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=870840.new#new

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 March 23 02:35 GMT (UK) »

I think the word is Ireland.
If you look at the line beside it the word Ireland is written and I see similarities in the 2 words.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 March 23 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Is that Portaferry, County Down? It's on the Ards Peninsula, on the east side of Strangford Lough.

Unfortunately the Irish census web site seems to be down so I can't look for her there at the moment.

Census website back in operation.

1911 census
House 14 in Perry Street (Portaferry, Down) - incorrectly transcribed - should be Ferry Street.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Portaferry/Perry_Street/241387/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 March 23 20:41 GMT (UK) »
1911 census
House 14 in Perry Street (Portaferry, Down) - incorrectly transcribed - should be Ferry Street.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Portaferry/Perry_Street/241387/
I thought I'd 'Report any error in transcription' but there's nowhere on the page in relation to the address 'Perry Street' to let them know it should be 'Ferry Street'

Any suggestions?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 06 March 23 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 06 March 23 22:43 GMT (UK) »
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"