Author Topic: John Bennett born about 1887  (Read 723 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Bennett born about 1887
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 March 23 06:45 GMT (UK) »
John Bennett's death notice in the newspaper gives his wife's name as Charlotte, and the names of three step-children. I would look at the marriage certificate for information about his parents.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 March 23 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Looking for birth details, parents of John Bennett born Auburn Parish, Lanark, Lanarkshire about 1887. 
There is no parish called Auburn in Scotland.

Lanark is a parish in Lanarkshire, containing the town of Lanark.

Airdrie is not a parish in its own right; it's in the parish of New Monkland.

Anderston isn't a parish either. It's an area in the city of Glasgow.

There are houses called Auburn Cottage in East Kilbride, Pollokshields (Glasgow) and Rutherglen.

There is at least one Anderson Street in Glasgow.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 March 23 10:59 GMT (UK) »
This is the only birth I can see in Anderston, although there are a few other possibilities in the Glasgow area.
JOHN MCKAY BENNETT
mothers maiden name MCKAY
644 / 10 / 177
ANDERSTON

Added: I don't know this is him. I think he is still in Glasgow in 1914.
John McKay Bennett died in Killearn in 1950, aged 62. Parents Allan Cameron Bennett and Christina Shearer McKay.

He's in the 1891 census, aged 3, with parents Allan C and Christina, so I think he can probably be eliminated from your search.   
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 March 23 11:01 GMT (UK) »
On his WW1 service records, his next of kin is given as his Aunt Sarah Dogherty, Ferry St, Portferry, Ireland
Is that Portaferry, County Down? It's on the Ards Peninsula, on the east side of Strangford Lough.

Unfortunately the Irish census web site seems to be down so I can't look for her there at the moment.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 March 23 12:18 GMT (UK) »

On his WW1 service records, his next of kin is given as his Aunt Sarah Dogherty, Ferry St, Portferry, Ireland

There were two Sarah DOHERTYs at Ferry Street, Portaferry in 1901 and 1911, mother and unmarried daughter.

Sarah aged 56, Head, dressmaker
Sarah, aged 27, daughter, dressmaker
Annie aged 23, daughter, post office clerk

Sarah aged 73, Head, seamstress
Sarah aged 40, daughter, seamstress

All born county Down, all RC.

Census website is broken so sorry no links.

I think that the mother was Sarah McGINN who married James DOUGHERTY in Bryansford and Newcastle in 1865.  I can only see a church record, so like many others it seems that the information was not passed on to the registry.

Matching births to baptisms:

John born 1866

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03546/2305183.pdf

James born 1867

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/supp_births/2349913x.pdf

Sarah born 1870

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1870/03351/2228691.pdf

Mary born 1872

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1872/03240/2187075.pdf

Annie born 1875

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1875/03106/2138994.pdf

I think it is fair to say that the aunt referred to is the older Sarah, so John's mother might have been a McGINN or a DOHERTY.

Debra  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 March 23 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Excellent work, Debra. Pretty much what I was thinking of doing if I'd been able to get into the Irish census web site.

John gave his age as 28 years and 4 months when he enlisted in August 1915. If this was accurate, that means he was born in the first half of 1887.

There are no births of Bennet* with mother's name either McGin* or Do*rt* in Lanarkshire in 1887 - or indeed between 1885 and 1889. Nor is there a John Bennet* in Glasgow whose mother's name is not in the index (there is one in Dalziel in 1885) so it does appear that his birth was not registered as John Bennet*.

There are no marriages or deaths of a Den*s Benn*t* in Scotland who could conceivably have been John's father, and no records of a likely marriage in Ireland.

So the question arises whether he might have been illegitimate and registered as Do*rt* or McGin* instead. Maybe John's father Denis was Denis Docherty or Denis McGinn and Bennett was his mother's surname?

There are no births of a John McGinn in Lanarkshire in 1887 with no mother's name in the births index, but there are eight John Do*rt* births of which three are in Glasgow.

Neale1961 is right - you need to look at his marriage certificate to see what it says were the names of his parents. It's indexed twice in the NSW indexes in 1952, with his wife's name shown as Charlott (not Charlotte) Hayek. Looks as if she was Charlotte Fulton, and married William Hayek in Canterbury in 1908.

Could he have been married and widowed before he married Charlotte Fulton or Hayek? And if so, might his earlier marriage certificate give more information?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 March 23 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I see that Debra has magical powers to look up the Irish census when the website is down. I did try, but just met a blank screen. Is there any chance she looked for the mysterious John Bennett in the Irish census?
I could not see any suitable Naval records for the name. Was he in the Royal Navy under a different name?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 March 23 00:11 GMT (UK) »

I think that the mother was Sarah McGINN who married James DOUGHERTY in Bryansford and Newcastle in 1865. 

I think it is fair to say that the aunt referred to is the older Sarah, so John's mother might have been a McGINN or a DOHERTY.
I note that James Dougherty was with the Coastguard. That might be John Bennett's link with the Navy.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 March 23 01:46 GMT (UK) »
I see that Debra has magical powers to look up the Irish census when the website is down.

No magical powers I just used Ancestry but I do like to look at the original because...well you know why.   ::)  The Irish census is also indexed on FamilySearch.

Debra  :)