Author Topic: Regiments using the 5th (Southern) Cavalry Depot  (Read 181 times)

Offline Stirrick

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Regiments using the 5th (Southern) Cavalry Depot
« on: Saturday 04 March 23 08:38 GMT (UK) »
I have a man who served at the 5th (Southern) Cavalry Depot as Trooper (?) 23895.
I believe that this was in 1915.

Firstly, is it true that each of the Depots trained recruits for a particular set of Regiments ?
And - bit of a long shot - is it possible to associate this man's Service Number with a Regiment ?

As with many recruits to the Cavalry, this man, Arthur John PORTER, was later tranferred to the Infantry.
He became Private 22360 in the Gloucestershire Regiment - I believe, from his Service Number, in late 1915.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Regiments using the 5th (Southern) Cavalry Depot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 March 23 11:04 GMT (UK) »
May I ask where did you find the reference to him being in the Cavalry?

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 March 23 11:23 GMT (UK) »
The 5th Cavalry Depot was in Horfield Barracks in Bristol. More details of the four Hussar Regiments based there here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horfield_Barracks.

I assume you already have his MIC which only shows his service with the Glosters. I am surprised it doesn't mention his earlier service in a cavalry regiment prior to transferring to the infantry. However I note that the connection with the 5th Cavalry Deopot comes from the Soldiers Died in the Great War database, as shown on FindMyPast (and presumably Ancestry although I haven't checked the latter). Maybe his enlistment with the cavalry regiment was well before the start of the war, or alternatively, he may have been found unsuitable for the cavalry fairly early on in his training and this led to the transfer.

Do you have his birth details? I note that he was born in Bow.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 March 23 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I have checked the Medal Rolls as well and there is no mention of any service other than with the Glosters.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 March 23 11:40 GMT (UK) »
In case it's of any use in looking into his cavalry service (if there was any beyond training) here's a list of the cavalry brigades in WW1. The Long.Long Trail provides details of the other cavalry depots: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/cavalry-regiments/the-cavalry-depots/

Offline Stirrick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 March 23 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys.

As you say, Andy, I found the reference to the Southern Cavalry Depot  in the 'Soldiers Died in the Great War' database.

I've come across this situation before. Cavalry had largely been obsoleted on the Western Front (even at this early stage) but a strong force was kept 'in being' to prepare for the expected great breakthrough. Which, of course, never came.

But this meant that most recruits to the Cavalry were not needed and so were instead transferred to the Infantry at the completion of their training.

I presume that this is what happened to Arthur.

Offline Stirrick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 March 23 13:12 GMT (UK) »
I found this interesting chat on the subject on the greatwarforum if anyone is interested.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/245871-what-uniform-is-cpl-stump-wearing/page/2/

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 March 23 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I found this interesting chat on the subject on the greatwarforum if anyone is interested.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/245871-what-uniform-is-cpl-stump-wearing/page/2/
Yes, I agree that's really interesting and certainly explains the sequence and dates which probably applied to your man Arthur Porter. In particular the connection between the fact that Horfield Barracks was in Gloucestershire and he was transferred to the Gloucestershire Regt, even though he appears to have 'enlisted' in the Glosters at Shoreditch.