Author Topic: John GRIFFITH, married Minehead 26 February 1703/4  (Read 245 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: John GRIFFITH, married Minehead 26 February 1703/4
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 March 23 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Thats what I'm here for :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 March 23 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes ... but you go above and beyond!

This line now turns out not to be mine after all ... the more I researched it, the more inconsistencies arose until eventually I concluded it was untenable.

But the work may not be wasted, as others may chance along who have correctly traced their lines back to this marriage and are having the same difficulty with construing the register.

It gets frustrating at this point, doesn't it? I've traced all of my straightforward lines, and now I'm working on the difficult ones ... the ones that don't seem to make sense or which appear to have spring out of thin air. A whisper here, a hint there gives something that appears to be a promising lead. You follow it up ... try to make sense of it ... test the pieces to see if it fits ... and eventually it becomes clear that it doesn't and you've been off on yet another wild goose chase.

The problem is ... there are so MANY wild gooses out there!!

(One name I googled and came up with a dozen or so hits ... all of which were online trees or genealogical accounts, and every one of which had drawn different conclusions as to parentage, identity of wife, names and numbers of children etc.)
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 March 23 11:51 GMT (UK) »
It is frustrating.

I must say even though I help on here with my own Tree I am happy that on most lines I have gone back to mid 1750's.
I am satisfied with that as it least it is all documented and conclusive.

I only have 1 brickwall, and yes you guessed Irish!
Born c 1842, have her M/C and Death Cert but cant find anything on her Parents.
OOH for a DNA breakthrough in the future :)

:)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)