Author Topic: Edward Whitehorn d1868 Poplar  (Read 448 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Whitehorn d1868 Poplar
« on: Sunday 05 March 23 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.
I have the pdf of the the above's death certificate which raises some questions.
Background is Edward J Whitehorn b1836; 1861 Census occupation lighterman of Albert Place, Poplar.
He died 26/4/1868 River Thames - violent accidental drowning.
Inquest 27/4/1868 by coroner for Middlesex John Humphreys.
Now the death was not registered until 30/10/1868. Why the delay?
I have looked in newspapers (findmypast) and at LMA but cannot find any mention of the death or inquest. Where else can I look?
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Whitehorn d1868 Poplar
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 March 23 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked into who is the Edward WHITEHORN aged 51 whose death is registered Jun qtr 1868 Poplar? Perhaps the age was wrongly recorded and it was re-registered with the correct age in Dec qtr? (I don't really know that this might happen, just trying to come up with reasons for the delay.)  :-\

Modified to add:
I can't readily see another Edward WHITEHORN born c1817 around Poplar at this time.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 March 23 01:55 GMT (UK) »
I have just been on the gro site, deaths 1868, for Whitehorn male
 Poplar Jun qtr 1c 447 - comes up with no matching results.
Even with 'similar sounding variations etc'.
Maybe that was the reason for the deiay. I wonder if I requested the June one, would I be able to get it. Only one way to find out.
Thanks for the idea
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Well, I have just received the pdf of the death certificate for the above (June qtr 1c 447 Poplar) and it
is a duplicate of the first one I received.
So, I think your reasoning is right - someone (probably the family) objected to the wrong age being quoted and asked for a correction - hence the late issuing of the certificate.
Am still searching for the inquest!
Thanks Jackie

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 22:11 GMT (UK) »
A correction doesn't create a new entry....

It may have been a mix up between the coroner and the registrar, but I'd have to see the two entries to comment further.

(happy to have a look if you want to send them to me by DM)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 March 23 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Good to know it was the same man, though why the second registration and not just an amendment is puzzling. I'm not an expert in death registration rules.  ;)

Have looked in newspapers for an account of the inquest or the death using a variety of search terms, with no luck. Surprisingly sad number of drownings in the Thames.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 March 23 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Just got a response from GRO re the duplication of the above's death pdf.
'All computer generated; no mention of any reason why there was a duplication or aa delay; blah blah..."
Not what I would call customer service.
Jackie

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 March 23 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Very frustrating. At least you know it was the same man, but frustrating none the less.  ::)