Author Topic: Help with possible Mcdonald / Ross ancestors  (Read 200 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with possible Mcdonald / Ross ancestors
« on: Sunday 05 March 23 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I will insert two little snips of my 2nd gr grandfathers 1809 birth (with a twin sister) and a possible sister in 1828.  1809 says his father Charles is a weaver of ?  The possible sister in 1828 he is a gardener of ?
I am not sure of the 5 children noted in Scotlandspeople are of the same set of parents - or a different set of Charles Mcdonald and Catherine Ross.  The twins were born 1809, next son 1817, then daughters 1821 and 1828.  My 2nd gr grandfather Donald's parents are my brick wall but all evidence seems to point to them.    My 2nd gr grandfather Donald moved to Angus from Rosskeen and Cromarty, married there and was noted in 1841, 51, 61 and 71 census as having been born in Rosskeen.  His death cert was recorded by his son -also Donald - who did not know his father's mother's name but recorded 'Charles' as his father's father's name.  That's all I have to go on apart from possible use of naming patterns within the family leading to a Ross connection.  I have uploaded the 2 snips in the section for handwriting help, but it seems because of that they won't allow me to load them again in this section.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with possible Mcdonald / Ross ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 March 23 03:06 GMT (UK) »

Donald McDONALD.....who/when/where did he marry?

What names do you have for his children?

When and where did your Donald McDONALD die?

Can you please list all the information on the death certificate.

You are researching the origins of this Donald McDONALD?

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with possible Mcdonald / Ross ancestors
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 March 23 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Wivenhoe, thank you for your reply.  I will work backwards from Donald Mcdonald's death in 1879.
He died in Brechin, Forfar 11 Nov 1879 and at that point all in his family in Brechin had died apart from Donald junior (also known as Daniel) who was born in 1863. 
Death - Donald Macdonald general labourer, widower of Ann Sinclair (however they never married) died 11 Nov 1879 at 38 Bridge Street, Brechin aged 67. Parents Charles Macdonald deceased. 
1871 census - 9 Damacre Road, Brechin. Aged 59, Ag Lab. born Rosshire, Rosskeen. Daughter Isabella 14, Georgina 11, Daniel (Donald) 8.
1861 census 9 Damacre Road, Brechin, Donald aged 49 Ag Lab. Born Rosshire Rosskeen. Son John 11, Isabella Millar Daughter 4, Georgina 1, Ann Gibson Sinclair sister in law 37 - housekeeper (This Anne is my Donald (Daniel's) mother, and? Belford, nice in law, born Ireland.
1851 census Upper Tenements, Brechin. Donald Widow 40, general labourer, Charles son 8, Ann daughter 8, Isabella Sinclair mother in law 69, Anne Sinclair sister in law 28. George Pilmer stepson 15 John Bain nephew 1.
1841 census Upper Tenements of Caldhame, Brechin. Donald McDonald 25 labourer, Margaret 25, Isabella 55, Ann 15, George Pilmer 6
1838 marriage Donald McDonald and Margaret Sinclair married 3 Nov 1838 in Brechin, Angus, Scotland
That is all I have.  The reason I believe Charles McDonald and Catherine/Katherine Ross are his parents is purely based on young Donald noting Charles as his father's father on the 1879 death certificate and searching Scotlandspeople for births between 1800 and 1820 in Rosskeen with a father Charles.  It is also based on the fact that daughter Isabella 'Millar' Mcdonald seems to have 'Millar' given to her after her maternal grandmother's maiden name.  Isabella Sinclair the mother in law who lives with the family from 1841 - her maiden name was Millar.  The other daughter was Georgina Ross McDonald.  Therefore I thought it was a possibility Ross had been given to her for her paternal grandmother's maiden name.  Donald and Margaret McDonald were twins born to Charles McDonald and Katherine Ross on 19 Dec 1809 in Rosskeen, Rossshire.  Charles McDonald and Katherine Ross were married in Rosskeen, Ross and Cromarty on 24 Feb 1809. 
I have never found a marriage of Donald Snr and Anne Gibson Sinclair (his sister in law) after his first wife Margaret Sinclair (Anne's sister) died.  Indeed, on her death certificate, she is noted as 'housekeeper'.  Their children have 'illegitimate' on their birth certs. 

Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.