Author Topic: Looking for information regarding Elizabeth Holliday born around 1809.  (Read 481 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information regarding Elizabeth Holliday born around 1809.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 09:23 GMT (UK) »
I looked at this family earlier, there is also:

Thomas Chambers bu 22 Jun 1812 at Holme Cultram, abode Wigton, son of Thomas and Jane, 10 months.

Offline PaulJ56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish/Maddy,

Thanks once again for having a look for us.

The MC says Thomas Holliday was a husbandsman so looking after animals.
Elizabeth was living at Great Broughton and William at Flimby at the time of the marriage. Witnesses are a Sarah Walker and can't decipher the other one, scan attached.
Trying to check Elizabeth's age we have 40 in 1850, 42 in 1851, 50 in 1861, 57 in 1871, 69 in 1881, 80 in 1891 and 85 at time of death in 1897 so the birth year ranges from 1809 to 1814 but assuming the earlier dates are more correct we're looking at 1809-1811.

If the mother IS Jane Reed then that wipes out the Arthuret baptism of 1811

Do you know if the Carlisle record office have the St Mary, Holm Cultram records? One reason is there are more antecedents on both sides of the family from Cumberland so it would make a trip across worthwhile.

I had followed one Thomas Holliday who married a Catherine Tunstall in 1868 but realised I was following the wrong one as Elizabeth's Thomas was still with her and single on the 1871 census (DOH!)
Cheers

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 00:55 GMT (UK) »
I think the other witness might be Robert McBRIDE. Probably doesn't help much, have you tried tracing Sarah WALKER (common name though!) just in case she is related to Elizabeth? Will have a look.  :)

Good to know Thomas' occupation - I think this rules out Thomas and Jane, as he appears to be an innkeeper later. As I mentioned, there are a few Thomas HOLLIDAYs in the area, will look again at them.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 01:50 GMT (UK) »
As Elizabeth was married in Cockermouth in 1850, I'm wondering ...

There is an Ann HOLLIDAY died Mar qtr 1850 registered at Cockermouth (25/54) aged 84. This age just about tallies with the Ann HOLLIDAY on the 1841 census I mentioned earlier. Is this a coincidence or did Ann and Elizabeth both move from Aspatria to the Cockermouth area.  :-\

If I had unlimited resources I might be inclined to purchase the death certificate to see if the address is the same as Elizabeth's marriage, and who the informant was.

Though this Ann could also be the Ann HOLLIDAY at Great Broughton aged 75 in the 1841 with a couple of servants and ag labs. HO107/160/11 pg16. I didn't realise HOLLIDAY was such a popular name!