Author Topic: john durdin RAF and Army colourise?  (Read 962 times)

Offline Cal Williams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: john durdin RAF and Army colourise?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 February 24 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amy,

Forgive me piggybacking on your post but I've just started gathering info and pics for my wife's side of the family tree and have found lots of detail for some people and very little for others. Without wanting to post too much of people's info unnecessarily, I wondered Amy if you know whether this is the same John Durdin who married in 1963 and moved into Prince of Wales Lane with 'the in laws' at the time? I have one (slightly later i think) grainy image which has similarities, from an on-line ancestry 'tree' with lots of different branches that have DNA links, but I had no information with that image apart from the name John Durdin; I have since found a little more by way of dates and family links and also through social media I've connected with a couple of people who are researching other branches linked in the 1900's, so if this is the right John and you don't mind me using it, it adds another life event, location and picture to the story of her relatives! If not I'd be grateful if you'd let me know and it's another best guess ruled out - and I've already had a few of them! Great job getting them colourised - my Dad did his national service in the RAF at a similar time to John (can't recall where now) so I may dig out some of him - although he already colourised some of them himself after a fashion about 40 years ago, with a kind of photo painting kit!

Thanks and all the best
Cal

Offline AmyDurdin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 February 24 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for your message but unfortunately I don’t think this is the same John durdin, as this durdin married in 1961, and we don’t recall the Prince of wales address. If you know anymore details like DOB I can 100% confirm/deny it.

Offline Cal Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amy,

No problem - it's really hard to track links through and I may be connecting the wrong things in the info i have.

The links I have are Birmingham based: I have a John Durdin born between Jan & Mar 1940 to Harry and Hilda (nee Wale) who are all in Sheen Road (perry Barr div) in 1962, and then Harry & Hilda are still there but this John appears in Prince of Wales Road (Hall Green div) in 1965 in the home of Jack and Mable Cotton, having married Linda in 1963 in Bromsgrove.

It clearly isn't the same person, just close in age; it was a stretch to imagine a connection other than having the same name, 1958 just being possible for national service and the mention of 'great grandmother to Amy' in the Evening Mail announcement of Hilda's passing in Feb 1991.

Thanks again for responding.
Best Wishes,
Cal