Author Topic: JOHN BARCLAY in Army  (Read 322 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOHN BARCLAY in Army
« on: Monday 06 March 23 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
   I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction please.  The above G Uncle was born c 1818 in Renfrewshire SCOTLAND (no birth/baptism found) to FOSTER WOOD and JAMES BARCLAY.

*Note I have placed this message in the Armed Forces board as well.

Foster and James were married in 1809 in Paisley and none of their 5 children seem to have been baptised.  Therefore respective birth dates gathered from death certs and census records.

The information I have on John BARCLAY comes from the Poor Relief record for Mum FOSTER Wood-Barclay this is dated 20 September 1858 in Paisley, Renfewshire

"Mention of son, John died in army in India, leaving money to his mother, Wife leaving her husband"

I can include the whole (small) record if necessary.

It is difficult to know when John BARCLAY was born as neither he nor his sibling were baptised (from what I can see anyway) in Paisley Renfrewshire.

Just thought I would do some checking before I go and hire a researcher (England??).  Many thanks Dianna from Aus

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN BARCLAY in Army
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 23 09:37 GMT (UK) »
First, the 1841 census lists both Foster and Elizabeth as born in Renfrewshire.

Second, the parochial boards were pretty diligent in seeking out where people were born. This is because where you were born was an important part of determining which parish was responsible for looking after you when you fell on hard times. If abc parish board could find a reason to transfer the cost of relief to xyz parish board, they would grab the chance to do so. So if the poor relief record says Renfrewshire, you can be pretty sure that is right.

The absence of any record of baptism in Paisley doesn't necessarily mean that they were not baptised there. It means that the record, if it ever existed, either doesn't exist or isn't available online.

There are many reasons for this, including
- the parents neglected to have the children baptised
- they were baptised but the parents omitted to have the baptism recorded in the register
- they belonged to a religious denomination whose register has not survived
- they belonged to a denomination that did not practise infant baptism
- the minister omitted to notify the parish clerk
- the clerk forgot to record the event
- the record is in a register that has been lost
- the record is in a register that is not available online, for example Episcopalian, Congregational, Baptist, Society of Friends etc

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 23 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Linking to duplicated post on the Armed Forces board: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=870912
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 March 23 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Thanks very much for the information!  I will have to dig deeper re the childrens baptisms seems to be between c1810-1823.  As you say could just be missing or just not online for some reason.

All other records for this family have been recorded as far as marriages, baptisms etc.  Just a few I cannot locate.  I will send an email to the Archives office in Renfrewshire and see what they say/suggest.  Anyway as usual more research to be done.  Many thanks Dianna

Offline kdeterding

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 March 23 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello-
Just reaching out since I am also researching a line of Barclay family from approximately one generation earlier than your John Barclay but also from Renfrewshire and I noticed this conversation.

I'm searching for more information on Andrew Barclay (1824- before 1899) whose son was also John Barclay but born in 1854 in Renfrewshire.
Is there any chance these two John Barclays may be linked as far as you know from your research?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I had a look at records in India.
There are two possible burials
John Barclay born 1813 buried 26.5.1852 Jullindur Bengal Private HM 60th Rifles
and this chap
John Samuel Robesdean Barclay born 1820 buried 17 Dec 1855 Chinsurah Bengal Calcutta
Captain 3rd European Regiment
He left a Will 10 Nov 1857.

The latter one has a father John on his marriage 16.11.1847 to Augusta  Julia Griffiths so perhaps the first one.But then I've not seen the actual marriage and it could be a mistake on the transcriber's part.

Ciderdrinker

Ciderdrinker

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 13:03 GMT (UK) »
This is why I posted a link to the other thread. Research is being duplicated.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk