Author Topic: Seamans Tickets - BT114  (Read 357 times)

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seamans Tickets - BT114
« on: Monday 06 March 23 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find Seaman's Ticket (& his Seaman's Number) for a John Campbell born 21st July 1826 Longleys, Perthshire.   Probably issued at Dundee as his apprenticeship was in this vicinity and his Masters Certificate Nod: 10334 was issued in Dundee 6th May 1854.
Kind regards
clancam37

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Seamans Tickets - BT114
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 23 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 23 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 11:21 GMT (UK) »
I don’t see him in BT 114. Researching seamen around this time is never easy.

John Campbell first went to sea from 1840 – 1844 and served as an apprentice aboard THETIS.
See top attachment [Apprentices Indentured in Merchant Navy, 1824-1910]

The ticketing system was unpopular with seamen and difficult and expensive to enforce and was abolished in October 1853. A new register was started listing the seamen alphabetically – Register of Seamen Series III (BT 116)

This file should record the seaman’s name, age, place of birth and details of voyages (ship’s name, date and port of departure) together with their existing Ticket number (if any).

I think I have him in BT 116, [bottom attachment] however, it is short on detail and no Ticket No. His place of birth is shown as Dundee and it shows a homeward voyage arriving 24.2.1854 aboard IRLAM (Liverpool).

Of course, Dundee not too far from Longleys but still a lot of doubt. However, consulting his Master’s Ticket we see that he serves aboard IRLAM (Liverpool) from November 1853 until February 1854 which works in well with BT 116 entry. So I believe that is him although I am not sure if this moves us on any.

Regards
Hugh

Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 March 23 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hullo HMac,
Thanks.  I do appreciate your sending this attachment from BT116.  Am sure that's my ancestor.
All the best
clancam37
I don’t see him in BT 114. Researching seamen around this time is never easy.

John Campbell first went to sea from 1840 – 1844 and served as an apprentice aboard THETIS.
See top attachment [Apprentices Indentured in Merchant Navy, 1824-1910]

The ticketing system was unpopular with seamen and difficult and expensive to enforce and was abolished in October 1853. A new register was started listing the seamen alphabetically – Register of Seamen Series III (BT 116)

This file should record the seaman’s name, age, place of birth and details of voyages (ship’s name, date and port of departure) together with their existing Ticket number (if any).

I think I have him in BT 116, [bottom attachment] however, it is short on detail and no Ticket No. His place of birth is shown as Dundee and it shows a homeward voyage arriving 24.2.1854 aboard IRLAM (Liverpool).

Of course, Dundee not too far from Longleys but still a lot of doubt. However, consulting his Master’s Ticket we see that he serves aboard IRLAM (Liverpool) from November 1853 until February 1854 which works in well with BT 116 entry. So I believe that is him although I am not sure if this moves us on any.

Regards
Hugh