Author Topic: Bentley Family in Kent  (Read 273 times)

Offline Maid of Kent 11945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bentley Family in Kent
« on: Monday 06 March 23 12:46 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any references to my Bentley Family who lived in both Nonington and Barham Kent.  my 3xgreatgran was Sarah Bentley baptised in Nonington in 1796. father Edward and mother Mary (Ellen)or Allen. I have found the Nonington parish site which gives baps marriages and deaths. Any help appreciated.I believe father Edward was baptised in Barham in 1747 but it is hid father I seek. His name was also Edward. Thank you.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Bentley Family in Kent
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat.

You have posted on the "How to Use RootsChat" board, I'll ask a moderator to move your post to the Kent board.

Also, I assume you mean Edward was baptised 1747 (not 1847)?  :D

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 00:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming this is Edward's marriage to Mary ALLEN - 28 Jan 1792 at Nonington. Is it his burial 29 May 1839?

There is also a marriage of Edward BENTLEY and Mary PORRIDGE at Nonington on 13 Nov 1736. A possibility for his parents.

Offline Maid of Kent 11945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes I believe that Edward and Mary nee Porridge are his parents.  Its his grandparents etc I am trying to find and confirm. Thank you.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming this is Edward's marriage to Mary ALLEN - 28 Jan 1792 at Nonington. Is it his burial 29 May 1839?

The Edward who was buried on 29th May 1839 was 64 years old, giving him an estimated birth year of 1775.

There is a burial on 2nd July 1859 for a Mary Bentley in Nonington; her age on the record is 83, giving her an estimated birth year of 1776.

I cannot find an Edward Bentley baptised in 1747 in Barham; there is one who was baptised there on 24th February 1744?

Just to make sure I understand, Maid of Kent, your current hypothesis is that the Edward who was baptised in 1744 married Mary Allen in 1792? This would make him 48 when they married, which would be unusually old for the time. Of course, he could have been a widower, but I can't find any evidence of this.

Unless I am missing something, the 1744 baptism also does not fit with the age at death (assuming that the 1839 burial is correct). The estimated birth year of 1775 does admittedly seem a bit too young to have married in 1792, but a few years could have been shaved off his real age.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset