Author Topic: 1871 Census for Linnbank Weavers Cottages in Nemphlar, Lanarkshire  (Read 261 times)

Offline Hootsman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1871 Census for Linnbank Weavers Cottages in Nemphlar, Lanarkshire
« on: Monday 06 March 23 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I have a problem locating my 3rd Great Grandfather in the 1871 Census. I can tell you that I have all other census info for him and the family.  In the 1861 and 1881 census I have him and all of the family but it is a mystery where him and two of his Daughters and their husbands are in the 1871 Census - all 5 are missing. I have also checked the 1875 Valuation Roll and none of the above can be found.
I suspect that Linnbank weavers cottages were demolished around 1871, but cannot confirm this. I visited the site of the cottages some time ago and and found the ruins - at the time I lived in Spain, but now live in Lincolnshire.

I would be grateful for any information that might help locate the family in the 1871 census and solve the mystery.

The persons referred to above are:

William Jackson, born Nemphlar, Lanark, lanarkshire 23rd Aug 1807 (3rd Great Grandfather).
John Lockhart, born Nemphlar, Lanark, lanarkshire 1819 (William's son-in-law).
Marion Jackson, born Nemphlar, Lanark, lanarkshire 14th Sept 1831 (William's daughter, wife of John Lockhart).
Scott Clarkson, born Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire about 1846 (William's son-in-law).
Mary Jackson, born Nemphlar, Lanark, lanarkshire 1845 (William's daughter, wife of Scott Clarkson).

Note: William's wife Marion Jackson born 7th January 1809 is confirmed visiting her friend in Lesmahagow in the 1871 census.

I am grateful for any help.

Kind Regards,

John Jackson
Jackson, Somerville, Pepper, Livingstone, McCormick, Juggins, Shucksmith, Robinson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census for Linnbank Weavers Cottages in Nemphlar, Lanarkshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 23 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Could Scott Clarkson be the 25-year-old farm servant Scott Clarson, born Cambusnethan, in the 1871 at Cairneyhead in Cambusnethan? He's recorded at unmarried in the transcription I'm looking at but that could be an error in either the record or in the transcription.

He seems to be in the 1861 as Scott Clareson.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hootsman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 23 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

This is Scott in the 1861 census:

He married Mary Jackson 19th Oct 1866 in Lanark.

1861 Census

At the time of the 1861 Census Scott Clarkson was living and working on Hareshaw Farm in Shotts.  He was working for James Shearer who was a 51 year old farmer of 200 Acres and Scott is recorded as follows:

Address: Little Hareshaw Farm, Shotts, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Scott Clarkson, Servant, 15 years old, Farm Servant, born - Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Regards,

John
Jackson, Somerville, Pepper, Livingstone, McCormick, Juggins, Shucksmith, Robinson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 March 23 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes. What I wondered is if that was him, incorrectly listed as unmarried, in 1871.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hootsman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 March 23 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Its a possibility, but I'm not convinced. I checked the entry on Find my past and it is as you say.
I checked SP for a birth of a Scott Clarson or Clareson and cannot find an entry. So, there is a possibility that your suggestion could be right with a mistake with his marriage status.

John

PS: I have sent an email to Lanark Library to check on the status with the 1871 Census for the Linnbank Weavers Cottages - perhaps they were damaged or destroyed - clutching at straws!!!!!

John

Offline Hootsman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 March 23 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfariar,

I have found the 1871 entry for John and Marion Lockhart nee Jackson;

Household members (3 people)
Copy to clipboard
First name(s) Last name Relationship Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
John             Lockhart       Head   -    Male 46    1825    Retired weaver   Lanark, Lanarkshire
Marrion   Lockhart      Wife   -   Female 39  1832       Weaver           Lanark, Lanarkshire
James   Lockhart      Son   -    Male   14   1857     Gardener           Lanark, Lanarkshire

John

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 March 23 17:41 GMT (UK) »
So is that two down, three to go, or three down, two to go?

Offline Hootsman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 March 23 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Correct!!!!!!

At least I now know that the Linnbank Cottages were still occupied at the time of the 1871 census.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 March 23 18:37 GMT (UK) »
You probably kinow this already, but just in case you don't

Linnbank is on the first edition of the six-inch map, surveyed in 1864
https://maps.nls.uk/view/228779071

but not on the second edition, surveyed in 1896
https://maps.nls.uk/view/75651291

The 1875 and 1885 valuation rolls list a house and weaver's shop at Linnbank, parish of Lanark, proprietor Sir Simon M Lockhart, Baronet, and in 1885 the tenant and occupier is John M Lockhart.

Sir Simon is still proprietor until at least 1915 and in some years the tenant is Lockhart Whiteford.