Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 12th March 2023  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary summary week ending 12th March 2023
« on: Monday 06 March 23 14:54 GMT (UK) »
No-one seems to have started this week so here's a new diary week.

Snow forecast here, hope it doesn’t arrive. We've had a little light rain so far, I can put up with that.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 12th March 2023
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 23 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Well done Roobarb!

Just commenting on last weeks post from Viktoria… sorry to hear your son has covid and we’re all keeping 🤞that you’ll be ok.

Miserably cold day here today… no sunshine just grey clouds.

Pilates this morning a good start to the week… hope I can move tomorrow!

Going with two friends to ‘Angels’ tomorrow … I’m driving so hope the snow stays away! They have 10 miles of costumes 😳😳!
The oddest thing is we’ve got to take a lateral flow test and show proof when we get there….

Hope everyone stays warm and cosy this week with this blast of cold weather around.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline griffo99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 23 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from a warm and sunny Auckland. Having lost a large part of our summer to cyclones, we're now into autumn, and so far, so good. Each day when I wake up it's a little bit darker; our clocks go back to winter time on the 2nd April. Although I'm officially retired, I do still occasionally do a bit of work for my old company which means travelling into the cbd. Let's hope I'm not asked to work before the clocks go back, I find it so depressing driving to work in the dark! I don't know how others feel, but I don't always cope well with the thought of "being retired", I only stopped work because I lost my job due to covid, not much call for an ESL teacher for international students during two years of lock-down. I now do relief work so I only work when I want to, which seems a good compromise.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 March 23 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Griffo99
Sounds a good idea to me to pick the day you want  to work, I would find that preparation for retirement to cut down gradually

Viktoria,  hope your  son doesn't suffer to long, you yourself ought to be careful as well  ,  covid seems to be creeping up on people , today I have been out to a centre and not worn my mask  for the first time , I hope I haven't taken a risk to soon.

After my car accident on Friday I have tried to fill out all the details online, gone are the days when we could go to the office to discuss it all, I did drive today but am losing my confidence very quickly, sounds dramatic doesn't it? nothing has happened  like this to me before, I am finding  if very stressful and so is my passenger,  the fact he admitted liability and I have a witness is not good enough, no  independant witnesses, so it is his word against mine.

Snow expected in this area tomorrow, been very damp today not cold at all,  will see what tomorrow will  bring , I am supposed to be meeting  a friend for her hospital appt but she won't let me go if it is snowing.

Hope all is well with everyone

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 06:43 GMT (UK) »
No snow as yet so I am off out at 09.30 to go with a friend to have her scan, then she wants to go to the pie/eels and mash shop, that will do me nicely, seems more of these are popping up in various places

We had rain overnight and although it isn't cold I wonder if it will snow, as long as I get back ok  without a snow fall I will be happy

Viktoria, hope you are trying to keep away from Covid and hope your son is doing all the right things to help him but of course sharing a household it is difficult.

Nice to hear Auckland is getting some decent weather, thy have suffered enough like lots of other places

Take care

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Morning all
It's very very cold here but sunny and there was a hard frost last night, but we don't have any snow yet. From the news it appears it's currently further north and nearer the coast , so RTL may have some on her commute .Often  the coast doesn't get snow, something to do with the salt air , but they showed pictures of Whitley Bay, Tynemouth and Cullercoats this morning on the news and they are all on the coast.  Hope she's managing ok.
North East of England

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Louisa Maud, perhaps booking an assessment session with a reputable driving school instructor may help you regain your confidence?
For a very different reason I wasn't really able, and didn't need to drive myself for over a year, at all, and then I didn't get on with the super-dooper automatic car my OH bought, but when I was able to get behind the wheel comfortably I got in my old landrover and it purred away! Try not to lose your nerve. Is there anyone who can help you with the online claims hoo-ha?
Don't give up.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 11:17 GMT (UK) »
LM - I'm very sorry to hear about your recent accident and all the trouble with getting the car problem sorted out.
I sympathise with you as I dislike filling anything in online.  It is such a nuisance when computer says no, which can happen.  I had to fill something out the other day online and it wouldn’t let me put in anymore than the first two letters of my first name.  Sometimes I wish we could go back to the days of speaking to a person.
I hope the car won’t have to be written off and I also hope your confidence will come back soon.  It wasn’t your fault but I daresay that it is probably natural that your confidence will have taken a little knock after this experience.  Yes, as Threlfallyorky says - don't give up!
Viktoria I also join LM in hope your son does not suffer too long.  Also, commiserate about Diana’s son having to return to work with Covid.  Sometimes life feels a bit mad!  In an ideal world he ought to be able to recover and still get paid whilst doing so.
Caroline, I’m looking forward to hearing more about your trip.   
Candleflame, I woke up to a blanket of snow this morning.  Thankfully, no commute today I am off. We have bright sunshine though and a nice blue sky and the snow is starting to thaw already.  It doesn’t feel as cold as recently either.
Very sad news at Church on Sunday – one of our Church ‘Elders’ (CP) has died recently.  He was only a few years older than me.  I hadn’t even known he had been ill so it felt like quite a shock to hear this news.  I have known him and his wife and family since I was in my twenties.  He was a wonderful man; a born leader and a stalwart in the Church.  He did so much for others and was so nice to everyone.  Church had a subdued air on Sunday and I for one, felt very shocked to hear he has passed; it is an understatement to say he will be missed.  SiL is on holiday at the moment but we are still corresponding by email and she is sending me news and photos of her holiday adventures.  She knew him through Church events I have invited her to over the years.  I won’t tell her about this until she comes back as I think she will be shocked and saddened too and I don’t want to dampen her holiday.
My little Grandson went in to the big pool for the first time at his swimming lessons on Saturday.  Apparently, they had to jump in and swim a few lengths.  He is the smallest and youngest in the class.  My son told me that my Grandson had been nervous and he saw his knees were knocking.  Although, Grandson told me that he wasn’t frightened he was just “cold”.   ;)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 17:39 GMT (UK) »
RTL
I  was very fortunate as half way through my online claim  I had to ring them, fortunately  the woman helped me complete the whole form whilst I spoke to her, 65  mins on the phone, exceedingly helpful,  so I have started the ball rolling.
Sorry to hear you have suffered a death with a very old friend, speaking to a friend recently I happened to say that we don't have many relations who would turn out for our funerals, the longer we live less  friends and relatives are still with us, not so long ago we went to a nephew and a cousins funeral, one in his 40's and the other 21, the church on both accessions was full to overflowing  and spilled outside the Chapel neither had church going friends.
I think people are returning to  work because they are using their sickness allowed, also I heard that people can return to work after 5 days, I was positive for 11 days and made sure I stayed at home the whole time.
Caroline, hope you enjoyed your trip to Angels.
Very cold today but no snow , I went out with a friend so was really pleased the weather was reasonable but cold, looking a bit bleak now

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London