Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 12th March 2023  (Read 2558 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 12th March 2023
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Viktoria that’s great.
LM I remember my father saying about aluminium being bad for you and I was dispatched to buy him a stainless steel one!!!
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I was right then,  but it was a big  mistake not to replace it, but as I said a microwave casserole is equally as  nice, reminds me I ought to do one again

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed a walk at the beach yesterday.  I felt a lift in spirits too with the bright sunshine, blue skies and dazzling snow.  Snow was mostly all gone by the afternoon though.
There were light flakes of snow fluttering down like feathers this morning but it didn't lie.
Viktoria, it does sound like your son has a bad dose of it; I do hope with rest he will start to feel better soon.
Thanks for kind messages re Church friend.
We, at Church, have now been invited to his 'Celebration of Life'.  I was a bit confused about this so I googled and I think it seems like it will be a more upbeat type of a funeral.  I have never been to such an event before but I like the sound of it, I think it sounds more positive than a funeral.  So if nothing happens to prevent me going I plan to attend to pay my last respects.
It's Women's Day today and I went to an event at the library called 'Gan on Hinnies'.  This was a most interesting talk about the Tyneside suffragettes.  I posted about this event on the Northumberland board.  I was very fortunate to get a front row seat.  All places for the event were taken and I heard that there had been a waiting list too. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qYIHPj-3hg0
Oh, and we listened to a lovely song called 'Bread & Roses. 
I am using up some days holiday this week as if I don't use them by April I will lose them.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 March 23 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Dementia,  but only if the aluminium was bright and shiny, if sort of sealed and dark looking by the effect of various  foods it us supposed to be O.K
I did a lemon chicken dish in mine so it is bright , Must do something
like potato peelings that will seal it again on the other hand a nice new S,Steel one sounds a good idea.

The funeral sounds really upbeat, R.T,L.a celebration of a life ,I liked your account.

Hope you find a car you are comfortable with L.M.
Any changes nowadays in my life are not easy to cope with , dread a new washer etc.

Very fine sleet here today and yesterday.
Ought to go to our Heritage Society this evening but it is sleeting and even with a taxi there is a walk on possibly frozen paths.A friend and I share a taxi so £7 instead of £14+
Victirian prisons and Asylums this evening !

Well at last a little more of F.H —— he has a Lancashire accent ,as do all the family ,his Mummy’s side broader than ours .
His parents worked diligently with him through lockdown and phonics were a big part of that.
This year’s teacher has been correcting him when he reads to her——- his deep u sounds and flat  a sounds are being corrected !

He is getting mixed up now with the phonics and doesn’t want to read to her but will at home.
So Mummy went in and explained that his accent was as all his immediate and extended family speak .They do not feel it is correct to change it especially as it is confusing him.
The children at school accept it and he is popular but is now not at all happy to read , and a reluctance to go to school. They wondered if baby Kyra had anything to do with it but feel very strongly he ought to be left alone , his previous teachers did not try to change his accent and even with a new baby there was no reluctance to go to school.
His Mummy is fully qualified and worked at Bury Education Committee ‘ s flagship nursery .
She wanted to complete her contract there as it was such a good thing to have in a CV. A real recommendation.
That meant his Daddy was for a few months away in the week but home every weekend and Mondays ,that was a few years ago then they were all together in Suffolk with lots of back up from my daughter (his Nanny )and her husband and his Daddy’s sister too.
He was well settled so not that.
He has been very good up to now.
In the juniors I think in September so this needs sorting out asap.

Well if it freezes we won’t go tonight , my friend has lots of health problems not least a stoma, and hip trouble .
I am battling  on with my new specs ,not happy with the bifocal  line .
They were not expensive £300 ,new frames but it will be £200 to have a spare pair by getting new lens  in a nice frame I have already.!
So we will see.

Hope everyone is alright ,so cold and miserable her
So thanks fir your news,folks, most welcome.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 March 23 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria, I didn't fancy bifocals, so I went for varifocals, but because of all the close to Artwork etc that i do, I asked for more in the close up area, and, as the frames I chose were rimless (nylon cord holds lense in) I asked them to make the actual depth of the lense area deeper. I'm now on my third different pair, and as I draw out exactly the area I want for what, it's working well. OH has standard bifocals, which would drive me bonkers - oh, I forgot, I am already!
Go back to your optician and have a good talk about your needs. My old one replaced a pair that simply wouldn't "fit right" with my needs, a decade or two back, totally free. Pity he retired. You shouldn't have to pay if you can't use them properly.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 March 23 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Must have had a great deal of rain overnight, dull miserable day but at least no snow or frost

FH,  I am sure they can sort him out, possibly not to presure him, surely  his teacher understands accents, what do they do with foreign children who don't speak English as their first language, perhaps encourage him to read more at home so that he doesn't get left behind .

Shame Topol has died,  Fiddler on the roof was one of the best films I saw, I have the tape, a film on a dull miserable day to watch, I feel one coming on.

I am not going to go on and on about my accident but I hope the young man tells the truth.

Not gone to church this morning, waiting for an assessor to call, it has a lent class after the service but I am having trouble logging  on to zoom, not done a zoom service for a long time.

Specs Viktoria, I have just had a new pair of bifocals  but I am not happy about the distance,  nothing to do with my accident I might add

Have a nice day folks, keep warm or dry whichever  applies to you.

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 March 23 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks T,Y. I must go back ,I feel the older frames will be better ,much smaller and I have a small face ,I hate glittery diamanté frames, plain suits me. The new ones can be spares.
Edna  Everidge  am not!

Oh Heckyle  Pecky! Son has leaked a black permanent felt tip on to bedding !
In the washer now with stain remover ,it is looking like the white Broderie Anglaise duvet and pillow set will be like a cloudy sky with thunder forecast!
It will be clean .
He is much  improved this morning ,hardly any coughing.
But we are not going anywhere.
Well stocked so no real worries.
Cheerio folks ,take care in this dangerous weather.
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 March 23 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Oh, that is good news Viktoria, that your son is much improved today.  :)  That is good too that you are well stocked and don’t need to go anywhere.  There is a horrible cold wind today.
That is incredible that your Church organist played for 64 years.  That is certainly some commitment!
Yes, I can imagine you would have found him a loss as we do our much respected Church Elder (CP). 
Re my Grandson –  yes, I agree he is brave to have jumped in the big pool (albeit I think it was the little end).  I don’t think I could have done it at his age and I told my son that.  I then said that I didn’t think we had a pool when I was very young and my son put on a Yorkshire accent and said “When I was a lad we swam in a puddle.. ;D”  Well, no it actually wasn’t quite that bad in my day but when I was Grandson’s age we just jumped about in the sea.  There was a pool at Tynemouth but too deep for us little ones I think.  Grandson has a passion for super heroes and at five I think he doesn’t realise it is alright to admit to feeling a little bit scared.  So I daresay his knees will be shaking again (with cold) ;) this Saturday but I daresay he will still jump in with the others.  Oh, I do feel for him brave little bairn!
Re FH perhaps tell him a story about a child who did not like writing and then say I wonder why little so and so didn’t like writing.  He may then come up with some answers.  I tried this once with a young one and they were then able to be forthcoming when they thought we were talking about someone else.  I think he sounds more clever than naughty – there must be a reason he dislikes writing but he came up with an idea to try to get out of it.
LM, yes it is very sad that Topol has died.  I loved Fiddler on the Roof too.  What a performance he gave singing ‘If I were a rich man’!  Wonderful!
Now you talk about your accident as much as you like.  I think it is good to get things off your chest when something is a trouble.  (I talked a lot about my seagull trouble last year.  This year I am going to start going through the park instead of down my street from May – dread being chased down the street again when they start nesting) :o.  I hope things turn out well when the assessor comes.  Hopefully, the young man will have had a conscience and will have told the truth.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 March 23 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Well, Daughter phoned this evening ,and said she had been buying exotic fruit,Flash Harry had gone online himself ,looked it all up and said he ought to be eating more fruit!
So he read Physalis ,Sharon fruit ,Kiwi fruit etcetc.
They do eats lot of  fruit and he will eat quite sour stuff .
So nothing wrong with his reading is there .
He did not exactiy say Physalis - Fixaliz - but not bad.

Well as yet no frost, hopefully none at all.
Sleety rain most of the day.

Hope it is reasonable weather tomorrow ,I am well stocked up but like to keep so.

I feel it is a good while since Annette posted, hope all is OK, miss the little girls’ photographs.
Roobarb too must be very busy ,and Pharma as well.

Hope all goes well with insurance claims etc , for those pursuing claims.
Health issues and worries, share if you feel able ,it does help .
And look after yourselves everyone,we have come a long way together and what a great help along the way has been RootsChat and the diaries especially.
Cheerio .
Viktoria.