Author Topic: St Pancras New Burial Ground, London  (Read 482 times)

Offline MaryLouiseCope

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Pancras New Burial Ground, London
« on: Tuesday 07 March 23 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Dear Fellow members,

Does anyone know what year St. Pancras New Burial Ground (attached to St Pancras Old Church and now part of St Pancras Gardens) opened to burials from St Giles parish once St Giles churchyard was full up?

I looking for someone who died in St Giles Workhouse Infirmary in 1823 and was supposedly buried in St Pancras New Burial Ground: but is this burial location plausible?

Many thanks,
Mary-Louise

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Pancras New Burial Ground, London
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Burials at St Giles in the Fields continued on a regular basis up to 1853, and more sporadically up to 1859.

In 1823, a regular workhouse inmate who was chargeable to the parish of St Giles in the Fields would normally be buried in the ground for that parish, because the parish would be paying for the burial.

But if the deceased was not a regular workhouse inmate and was perhaps only temporarily in the infirmary, he/she might be buried at St Pancras, or indeed anywhere else where someone was able to pay for the burial and where the minister was agreeable.

I don’t know if that answers your question? It’s very much easier to help when specific details are supplied rather than generalities. What exactly are you trying to resolve?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Is the person William alias Billy Waters? (on another thread you said the name was Waters)
Buried at St. Giles in the Fields, 21 March 1823
Attached image from the parish burial register, 1815-1826

Offline MaryLouiseCope

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 00:11 GMT (UK) »
That's him!

Thanks!

Sorry if I was being vague - I'm new to RootsChat, as was unsure how specific to be without being irrelevant/boring.

So: to answer Bookbox's question, I am trying to resolve this question:

- as William Waters died in 1823, and had WkH. listed under his George Street 'Abode' (which experts on Rootschat think meant he was in the workhouse infirmary rather than homeless and therefore in the workhouse proper), do either of these things suggest he would have been buried in St Pancras New Burial Ground (as his newspaper obituary states)?

I perhaps should add that no-one with the name Waters/ Walters/Watters is in the surviving pages of the St Giles in the Fields or St Pancras workhouse admittance registers on Ancestry (for March 1823), and that the Burial Fees Book for the St Pancras Burial Ground - which gives info on burial location - only starts in April 1823.

Thanks all!

Mary-Louise

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 00:28 GMT (UK) »
- as William Waters died in 1823, and had WkH. listed under his George Street 'Abode' (which experts on Rootschat think meant he was in the workhouse infirmary rather than homeless and therefore in the workhouse proper), do either of these things suggest he would have been buried in St Pancras New Burial Ground (as his newspaper obituary states)?

As his burial is recorded in the St Giles register (and not St Pancras), I think this reference will be to St Giles' own 'New' burial ground, which happened to be within the parish of St Pancras.  See here …

http://collections.soane.org/OBJECT2248
“After the churchyard of St Giles (re-built by Henry Flitcroft, 1731-3) became overfull a new burial ground was opened in 1802 or 1803 next to but separate from the newly enlarged graveyard of St Pancras Old Church.”

Offline MaryLouiseCope

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 16:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this Bookbox! (I suddenly realised I did not reply to your last post)