Author Topic: Kavanagh  (Read 1206 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kavanagh
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Re the previous message
Birth
James Joseph Kavannagh 1869, Liverpool mmn Lombard
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 09:11 GMT (UK) »
I think this child might have died as she is not on the census

Margaret Ann baptised October 1874
Godmother Elizabeth Shehan

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 09:36 GMT (UK) »
I have just come back to this and am puzzled re the information re James being a police officer etc.
Where is that information before Chippy’s confirmation?

I think I have now found him in 1881 with wife Margaret and children at 1881  3706/13/20. Is that him?

Sorry there are more details including the marriage on the other thread as posted by CaroleW on this thread (reply #7).  I was forgetting that there were two going.

Debra  :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Last evening, I did try to search the various threads but got lost  ;)

Offline Chippy27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Chippy, Can you post the names and years of birth of the children? Would actually be a big help.
[/quote

Yes, children, I will post all children born in Liverpool this I do know.
James J b 1869
Elizabeth b 1870
William R b 1872
Margaret A b 1874
Lawrence m b 1877 my gt grandf
Richard W b 1878
Frederick C b 1881
Georgina b 1883
Henry b 1884
Thomas A b 1889

10 children all born Liverpool

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 18:57 GMT (UK) »
With the extra information from Heywood that a Sheehan was godmother to one of the Kavanagh children in England, I think we can be reasonably confident in the identification of
James Kavanagh and Elizabeth Sheehan of the town of Gorey as the parents of James Kavanagh junior of Lancashire, the policeman.

However, James junior was seemingly not born in 1845, as a brother Michael was (first page of baptism register!). James was presumably born prior to the start of the registers (prior to 1845).

Griffith's valuation, printed 1853, shows two James Kavanagh householders in the town of Gorey,
 - One was in No 10. Pot Lane, renting a 10 shilling per annum house from the Earl of Courtown.
Next door in No. 11 was a Laurence Kavanagh.
- The second was in No. 9 Spout Lane, renting a 15 shilling house from a Michael Byrne (ultimately from the Rams of Ramsfort).

While one can't tell directly which James was the father of James junior, the presence of Laurence Kavanagh as a nextdoor neighbor to the James of Pot Lane, suggests that this is the correct family. Laurence is a potential uncle, as James junior named a son Laurence.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 19:58 GMT (UK) »
From a comment in a post on the Wexford Co. Council website, it seems that Pot Lane, Gorey may be todays Clonattin Road. See
https://consult.wexfordcoco.ie/en/consultation/proposed-material-alterations-draft-wexford-county-development-plan-2022-%E2%80%93-2028/chapter/volume-5-record-protected-structures
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Chippy27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 21:02 GMT (UK) »
A suggestion - why not contact the Lancashire Constabulary? They presumably have records?

Oh, that's a good shout I will do. I have found him 1881 he did get stabbed but survived. This tale was past down but the newspaper confirmed it.

Offline Chippy27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Last evening, I did try to search the various threads but got lost  ;)

Haha thank you 😊