Author Topic: Patrick Hayes born circa 1832 Ireland "Waterford Family Heritage"  (Read 365 times)

Offline SpiersD01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Hayes born circa 1832 Ireland "Waterford Family Heritage"
« on: Wednesday 08 March 23 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Patrick Hayes born circa 1832 of Irish Heritage married Ann Grant(nee Pitt born circa 1829) in 1855, whilst serving as Sargeant, 2nd Light Infantry in the British India Company in Madras, India.  Patrick and Ann had twins Mary Ann and Patrick on 5th April 1858 in Madras. Ann Grant was widowed prior to her marriage to Patrick thus the name Grant.  Ann's father's surname was Pitt and also was from Ireland.  Patrick's father was P.Hayes born Ireland and from Waterford. 

"It is this Hayes Irish family heritage prior to and including 1832 that I now seek".

The information that I provide above was sourced from the British India Office in the way of transcripts of the baptisms of Mary Ann and her twin brother Patrick as well of a transcript of the marriage of their parents sourced from the British India Office.  This information was further confirmed via email with the British Library.

Further information is that Mary Ann Hayes one of twins born to Patrick Hayes and Ann Grant(nee Pitt), migrated to Australia from Ireland in 1874 on the vessel St. S.S St.Osyth at the age of 16 years with Mary MacKillop as 1 of 15 Jacobite Nuns.  Mary entered the Order, became a Novitiate, in Adelaide South Australia on 8th December 1874 and took final vows on 24th May 1877.  Her religious name was 'Sister Wilfred of the Second Sorrowful Mystery' and she was subsequently formally Secularised (left the Order) on 18th August 1883.  This information was confirmed via ships passenger list and further confirmed by the Archivist Sisters of St. Joseph, Kensington, South Australia.

Mary Ann having left the Order married Alexander Samuel Malcolm on 25th January 1887 at O'Halloran Hill at the age of 28 years and she went on to have 6 children, one of whom is my Grandmother.  Mary Ann Hayes is my biological Great Grandmother and Patrick Hayes born circa 1832 Ireland is my Great, Great Grandfather.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Hayes born circa 1832 Ireland "Waterford Family Heritage"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 March 23 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Well you may be in luck.

I see 22 Patrick Hayes baptisms in Co. Waterford within +- 5 years of 1832.

But only 5 with father Patrick, and only one with father Patrick and mother Mary.
That is on the assumption that they named their children Mary and Patrick after their paternal grandparents.

That one remaining baptism is that of Patrick Hayes, on 13/3/1833 in the parish of Kilrossanty, parents Patrick Hayes and Mary Quilty.

For map showing location of parish
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1112

The original baptism entry can be seen here - in Latin
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632217#page/28/mode/1up

Not definitive, but the best that can be done, unless more information can be found.
Of course you could also check the other four baptisms with father Patrick Hayes, where the mother was not named Mary.

- A question for OP - Did the original Indian records just say "Waterford", or did they try to distinguish between the city and county. which was normal? Nothing about occupations?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline SpiersD01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 March 23 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer

Thank you so much for providing this information.  However, the Baptism Register is hard for me to read and understand.  It would be good if Census Records of that time were available.

Unfortunately the only information on where the father of Patrick Hayes b.c. 1832, (P. Hayes) is Waterford.  This information came via email communication with John Chignoli, Asia and African Studies Reference Services, The British Library, London who provided me further information of Mary Ann and Patrick Hayes (twins) born in Trichinopoly.

I have attached some documentation/information for your interest.

thanks again...

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 March 23 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer

Thank you so much for providing this information.  However, the Baptism Register is hard for me to read and understand.  It would be good if Census Records of that time were available.

Unfortunately the only information on where the father of Patrick Hayes b.c. 1832, (P. Hayes) is Waterford.  This information came via email communication with John Chignoli, Asia and African Studies Reference Services, The British Library, London who provided me further information of Mary Ann and Patrick Hayes (twins) born in Trichinopoly.

I have attached some documentation/information for your interest.

thanks again...

Unforntunately, the first available census is that for 1901, which is obviously not of much use to you.

The baptism entry for your Patrick is that second from the bottom of the right hand page, on the link I gave earlier. The only extra information in the original is the names of the godparents, and the officiating priest.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline SpiersD01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 March 23 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer

Sorry, attachments didn't work - will try again.....

Offline SpiersD01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 March 23 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer
Thank you again.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 March 23 08:34 GMT (UK) »
South Australia Archives Records  Adelaide Hospital  (page 19 of 623)
https://archives.sa.gov.au/sites/default/files/public/images/GRG78-49%201840%20-%201904%20M-R.pdf

1580 MALCOLM Mary A
Admitted:                       14/06/1898
Religion:                         Roman Catholic
Residence:                      Gouger St
Birthplace:                      At Sea
Time in the Colony:          24 y
Ship by which arrived:      Saint Osyth

Offline SpiersD01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 March 23 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks

Yes, this is my Great Grandmother.  Thank you for the information.  I have this information from State Records South Australia, thank you.  Further information and research discovered that she was actually born in India to Irish parents and not at sea.

I am looking for my Great Grandmother's lineage in Ireland.

best regards

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 March 23 16:59 GMT (UK) »
To make things easier to see, I made a screenshot of the baptism in question.

13 [March, 1833] Patrick  [son of] Patrick Hayes & Mary Quilty
Sponsors Thomas Conners & Mary Curreen?

Where I have translated the Christian names from the original Latin.

Again, there is no guarantee that is is the correct Patrick, but it seems that this is the best possible fit at present.