Author Topic: Duke of Montrose - Graham Family  (Read 217 times)

Offline sharju90

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duke of Montrose - Graham Family
« on: Wednesday 08 March 23 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a needle in a hay stack.  I have a family history story where our ancestor Robert Graham born c1780 who was reported to be a member of the 90th Perthshire Volunteers and somehow related to the Duke of Montrose.  Robert was apparently at a ball where royalty were in attendance and was in a discussion where he ended up throwing a glass of wine in the royal persons face, fled the ball and the county, ended up in Tavistock, changing his name to Green.  He married a Clodye or Claudia Ann Cotton born 1787 Boyton, Cornwall and had 5 children.  When Robert heard that his regiment were coming to Tavistock on manoeuvres, he fled Tavistock to Plymouth, where he became a navy diver.  His wife Clodye told her daughter Ann the story that there were estates awaiting them one day.  Ann always asked for more information, but her mother always told her, not now later.  Sadly, the old woman died before she told the full story.  I'm not concerned about the estates supposedly waiting, because they're probably gone to other family.  I would just like to make the connection to the right family tree to this so-called Duke of Montrose for a couple of elderly cousins who are in their 90's.  It would be the best birthday gifts I could give them, a full family tree.  If anyone could help or advise on where else I could search, I'd be very grateful, as Green and Graham are such common names and very difficult to research.  Thanks everyone for reading.

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Duke of Montrose - Graham Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I grew up in a village called Drymen in the west of Scotland near Loch Lomond.
Was Stirlingshire, now central region.
Just outside the village was an estate with a ruined castle, Buchanan castle which was the seat of the Duke of Montrose, family name of Graham.
I understand he still owns land in the area.

You could look up the family history to see if you could find the connection you’re looking for.

Offline sharju90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you oldfashionedgirl, I will search that subject.  Kind regards 🙂

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Think the house was Auchmar?

Skoosh.

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is a report of the funeral of Lord Lynedoch 9th Jan 1844 Dundee Courier which mentions "Robert Graham esq of Redgorton, nephew and heir to the deceased"

A  long piece in the Perthshire Courier Dec 1843 about about the Late Lord Lynedoch, born 1738, it has tantalising tit bits but I can t work out if it relates to your family.
His family name was Graeme, latterly Graham, third son of Thomas Graeme of Balgowan.., mother lady Cristian Hope.
He raised a corps which was afterwards enrolled in the 90th Perthshire Volunteers.
He was a descendant of the noble and loyal family of Montrose.
"The family from which he is descended is a branch of that from which the Dukes of Montrose trace their origin "
Lots of other info but unsure if relates to your Robert.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk