Author Topic: FVT2 on a workhouse record - what does it mean?  (Read 466 times)

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
FVT2 on a workhouse record - what does it mean?
« on: Wednesday 08 March 23 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Today I viewed the Workhouse Records from 1899, my ancestor had FVT2 at the end of the column where the next of kin is noted. I wondered what does it mean. Other records had just FVT by theirs.
Thank you
Griffiths and Mercer from Prescot, Lancashire. Maple from Wiston, West Sussex and Keeley from London.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FVT2 on a workhouse record - what does it mean?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I don't know the answer but will hazard a guess - Full Visiting Time - perhaps extended to to two people for your ancestor?
This is only a guess though.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
Griffiths and Mercer from Prescot, Lancashire. Maple from Wiston, West Sussex and Keeley from London.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 19:57 GMT (UK) »
If there is an online image, could you please post the details of the entry (name, workhouse etc.), so that others can look at it and try to help?

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I viewed the actual record and do not have a picture or copy of it. The record was from the Steyning Union Workhouse. The record went across two pages and was as follows:
Year of birth 1841
Name: William Maple.
Nearest relative: A. E Maple,brother, Round Robin, near Steyning, FVT2. This looked like it had been written in at a later date other than admission, it was slightly raised up.
Date of discharge: 8 Nov 1891 DEAD.
Other spaces on the page were for dates where person had been re-admitted or discharged.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I don’t recognise this as a ‘standard’ workhouse abbreviation. Without an image to look at, it’s really hard to make suggestions.

Does it appear only for those who died in the workhouse, or for others too? Adults, children, male/female?

Possibly an abbreviation for a local place or a local institution that was so well-known it didn’t need to be spelt out? Or the initials of someone checking the record at a later date?

Others who know Sussex poor-law records better than I do may have suggestions. If not, you could try emailing the archivists at The Keep, who will probably have seen it before?

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 March 23 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for trying to help. I did enquire at the Keep with two volunteers, we also tried looking on line to no avail. I will keep a note of it and investigate further when I can.

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 March 23 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Might Peter, Workhouse history expert, know anything about these letters

https://www.workhouses.org.uk/

Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas