Author Topic: William Ellison, d1875, Ontario, Canada  (Read 325 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
William Ellison, d1875, Ontario, Canada
« on: Wednesday 08 March 23 23:00 GMT (UK) »
It has been years since I was last actively searching for my Ellison ancestors.  While looking at a DNA match for Ellisons, I realized that I don’t have a death record for William Ellison. I am wondering if there might be a newspaper write up about his death, please?[/u]  I have to check, but I believe his date of death was obtained from a cemetery record.

William Ellison’s details
Born c1795, Ireland - possibly Co. Wicklow.  Died 12 Dec 1875, buried Toronto, Ontario.
Possible first wife: Mary (1797-1834, Ontario)
   and their daughter Christian Elizabeth (1834-1834, b/d Ontario)
Second wife: Jane Brown Cullen (1811 Ireland-1891, Toronto)
   and their children: William, Joseph, William?, Jane, Susan, James, Elizabeth, Annie/Sarah
   (Note: childrens’ names may be incorrect; original notes are filed right now)
William was a carpenter and joiner while living in Toronto. His son, Joseph (and possibly William), was also a carpenter.
Religion: Church of England

I believe I searched the 1875 records (page by page) a few years ago for William’s death, but I will look again.  I have fairly complete records for all of the above people. William is mentioned in several Anc*try family trees, but I don’t believe anyone included a death notice. Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about William prior to 1834.

Thank you in advance for any help.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Ellison, d1875, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 March 23 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

I am not seeing anything for William in the Globe and Mail paper around that death date.   The database that I am using also includes the Toronto Star, but there are no editions in that time frame.  I think they start in the 1890s.

I did find an article about Joseph's death - saving his son from drowning - in 1887.   

RK

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 March 23 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Son William died 1841 and was buried 7 August 1841 in the York General Burying Ground (aka Potters Field), aged 1 year, 1 months, 2 weeks, son of William & Jane Ellison.  He is buried in Plot #64.

Interestingly, perhaps a later son, also named William dies in Toronto on 3 December 1861, aged 17 years 4 months (from Kingston Whig-Standard newspaper).

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 March 23 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi RK, thank you for searching.  I believe I heard about Joseph’s death…I will check my Ellison binder and include it if I didn’t already record it.  Thank you again for your help.

Hi Eileen. I believe William (died 1841) was buried in the same plot or section as Mary and little Christian Elisabeth which led me to believe Mary was in fact William’s first wife. I will also check my records for the death of a William in 1861.  Thank you very much for your help as well.

My (sick) kitty is curled up next to me.  Once she gets up I will review my Ellison information.  Thank you both again.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 March 23 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Deviating from the topic but filling in details regarding Plot 64 mentioned above, the following is from a thread started in 2009
( https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=381145.0  )

Reply #11 on: Monday 11 January 16 10:00 GMT (UK)
Perhaps Mary was the name of William's first wife:
York General Burying Ground / Potter's Field Cemetery
Mary Ellison, born Ireland, age 37 (born c1797), buried 8 July, 1834, wife of William Ellison.  Cholera.  Plot No. 64
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KH64-J3P
Christian Elizabeth Ellison, born Toronto, UC; age 4 months, buried 23 July 1834, daughter of William and Mary Ellison. Convulsions. Plot No. 64
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KH64-PNG
William Ellison, born City of Toronto, age 1 yr, 1 mo, 2 wks; son of William and Jane Ellison.  Teething.  Plot No. 64
  Added: little William died or was buried 7 Aug 1841.  Listed under his entry is a Sophia Atkin, one week old, also Plot 64. So, either her family was known to the Ellisons or Plot 64 contained numerous burials.
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KH64-NCF

Just coincidence that they were all buried in the same plot? Could the plot have held numerous interments, or just a few?   :-\

Also, were there two William and Mary Ellisons?  Or, could Alexander have been another son?
Alexander Ellison, born Ireland, age 21 years, buried 23 October 1845; son of William and Mary Ellison.  Cause of death:  Kings Evil.  No plot number mentioned.
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DRKS-WJC

-————————-

That’s one item resolved.  I’ll look through my records later tonight or tomorrow for Joseph and the 1861 William.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 March 23 09:10 GMT (UK) »
…Also, were there two William and Mary Ellisons?  Or, could Alexander have been another son?
Alexander Ellison, born Ireland, age 21 years, buried 23 October 1845; son of William and Mary Ellison.  Cause of death:  Kings Evil.  No plot number mentioned.
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DRKS-WJC

I just started checking Anc*try for Alexander.  The first family tree that I found has
Alexander Ellison, born 1 Jan 1824, Rathdrum, Wicklow, Ireland, his sister
Mary Ellison, 4 Aug 1827, Rathdrum, Wicklow, Ireland and their parents
William Ellison, born 1796, Rathdrum, Wicklow, Ireland.  Married Mary Bolton 15 Jan 1823, Rathdrum, Wicklow, Ireland.

So, it appears that my William Ellison possibly married Mary Bolton and the Alexander who was buried in 1845 was their son.

The best part…the owner of the tree is the DNA match that I just found - she shares a small amount of DNA with my brother and our mum.  Also, she was last on Anc*try today.  ;D. Her information for William and his family stops in 1827; mine starts in 1834.

I’ve wondered about Rathdrum for awhile now as I’ve run across Ellison (from Rathdrum) DNA matches before but hadn’t found “proof” that my William came from that area.  While I have a lot to verify regarding William, Mary, Alexander and his sister, Mary, this is a great start.

RK and Eileen, without your interest and help, I don’t think I would have resumed looking for Alexander.  This is so much better than finding William’s 1875 details.  If sources can be verified, I may be able to add at least one generation to our Ellison tree.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 March 23 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Great news :) :)

RK

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 March 23 19:41 GMT (UK) »
You may have this already, but some additional info for your files.

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/history-genealogy/lh-digital-city-directories.jsp

I don't find William in directories prior to 1850:

Toronto Directory, 1850:
Ellison, William, carpenter & joiner, Sheppard Street
Ellison, William, Lot 10, Concession 1 (West of the Center Road in Toronto)

1856:
Ellison, William, carpenter, Sheppard Street (north of Adelaide St. W., west side)

1861, 1862, 1864, 1865
Ellison, William, carpenter, 14 Sheppard Street

1866:
Ellison, Joseph, carpenter, boards 348 Yonge Street
Ellison, William, carpenter, house 14 Sheppard St.

1868, 1871
Ellison, William, carpenter and joiner, house 14 Sheppard

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile