Author Topic: William Ellison, d1875, Ontario, Canada  (Read 326 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: William Ellison, d1875, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 March 23 23:04 GMT (UK) »
I typed a partial reply, but had to step away and upon my return, the text is missing. Perhaps it’s for the best as my reply was quite wordy.

Eileen, thank you for providing all of the details from the directories!  While I knew about 14 Sheppard St., I don’t think I ever searched for Joseph’s address. Eileen, looking at your list, I started thinking about everything again. I wonder if the Ellisons knew my other ancestors as they lived within blocks of each other (especially in 1866). Perhaps Joseph stopped in to my Mumford ancestor’s shop to purchase goods on his way to visit his father.  My Ovens ancestors owned a shop near the Ellison’s residence. An Ellison son married an Ovens daughter (they were my mum’s grandparents) - perhaps they met in the Ovens shop.

Thank you for taking the time to provide so many details! I will add the list to my binder and Anc*try tree.

Toronto Directory, 1850:
Ellison, William, carpenter & joiner, Sheppard Street
Ellison, William, Lot 10, Concession 1 (West of the Center Road in Toronto)

1866:
Ellison, Joseph, carpenter, boards 348 Yonge Street
Ellison, William, carpenter, house 14 Sheppard St.
Added: Mumford, James, butcher, 261 Yonge, h same
            Ovens, John, berlin wools and fancy goods, 126 Yonge, h same (2 blocks from 14 Sheppard)

I wonder if William Ellison, Lot 10, could have been my William’s address right before he moved to Sheppard?  :-\  I will look for Ellisons at that location.

Thank you as well for providing the links.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen the plan for the cemetery and I’ve only seen one of the plaques before today.  I have read that although families were given the opportunity to move their loved ones to another cemetery, quite a few families did not make that choice.  I hope William Ellison was able to have his family members removed before the close of Potter’s Field.

Thank you, Eileen, for all that you’ve provided.  :)

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)