Author Topic: A burial or a memorial in St. Saviours Cemetery, Jersey, Channel Islands  (Read 296 times)

Offline MAPS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A burial or a memorial in St. Saviours Cemetery, Jersey, Channel Islands
« on: Thursday 09 March 23 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I would like someone to find a grave or memorial for a Alice Maria Mainland in the St. Saviour's cemetery. She was born in 1873 in London and died in 1958 at Braeside, St. Saviour. She stayed single all her life.
I did come across a family friend of hers who also lived for sometime in St. Saviour's at Beauvoir House. Frederick Adams who died in1938 in London but is buried in St. Saviours. On his grave is written Frederick of Mexico. He was an Railways engineer in Mexico for many years and worked for the British Govt. Alice M. Mainland and Frederick bought Beauvoir House together. There is supposed to be a sort of memorial to Alice on one side of Frederick's gravestone ? Perhaps she was cremated ?
Sorry about the long drawn out story. I wanted to give you as many clues as I could.
 Hope to hear from someone ?
Mainland [Orkney/Middlesex], Hill [London/Bristol], Adamson [Fife], Nicholson [Fifi], Tippett [Cornwall/Devon],
Heays [Tasmania/England], Reid [England/Scotland], Halcrow, Williams and many others.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: A burial or a memorial in St. Saviours Cemetery, Jersey, Channel Islands
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 March 23 03:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if the information you are looking for may be included here:
https://catalogue.jerseyheritage.org/collection/Keywords/archive/content.person.name/Mainland,%20Alice%20Maria/

The last item - "Croad and Sons Funeral Director" contains burial information. Subscription required.

I also assume you have seen this:
https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Beauvoir,_St_S

"The side border of his grave is also inscribed ‘To the memory of ‘Alice Maria Mainland’. which is curious because she was a relation, but not his wife." (in Note 1)

Offline MAPS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 March 23 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddys52,

Thank you so much for your info some of which I knew a little. What I omitted to ask was if there was anyone who could take a photo of this grave & memorial for me. The grave was Frederick Adam's and the joined? memorial of Alice Maria Mainland. [See previous Post.]

Thanks again,
MAPS
Mainland [Orkney/Middlesex], Hill [London/Bristol], Adamson [Fife], Nicholson [Fifi], Tippett [Cornwall/Devon],
Heays [Tasmania/England], Reid [England/Scotland], Halcrow, Williams and many others.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 March 23 13:58 GMT (UK) »
The grave is in St Saviours New Cemetery, grave number 48, row 3. I'll try and look over the weekend.

Stewart