Author Topic: James Abbs  (Read 427 times)

Offline Patrizia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Abbs
« on: Thursday 09 March 23 19:40 GMT (UK) »
James Abbs enlisted for the army at Grt Yarmouth, Norfolk on 7th January 1859 aged 20 yrs.  He was given the rank number of 164. Birth possibly 1839.  I believe he may originate from the Thorpe area of Norfolk. I found him in a search on the Forces War Records but as my subscription had lapsed I was unable to read finer details. I know he with his Regiment sailed to Australia. Does anyone have this person in their family tree please. I would like to know who his parents were?
I am asking because I need clarification as this person James Abbs has been attached to my family tree in other peoples family trees, with his name changing to James Hunter after arriving in Australia. The person who had this in their tree has attached it to my James Hunt born 1841, census 1841 3 months and Census 1851 aged 10 years and died 1853*. All in Tharston Norfolk. Unfortunately, the *Registration gives the name of *James Hunt at the very top of the page but all details of any person named James Hunt is missing from the page. I need this in full for clarification too for factual evidence that My family James Hunt, James Ebbs and James Hunter are not one of the same. I hope this makes sense.     

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Abbs
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 March 23 20:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a report in the New South Wales Police Gazette, 18 Apr 1861, of James Abbs deserting the 12 Regiment of Infantry. Confirms PoB as Thorpe.
Can be viewed on Trove, Australian Newspapers

Offline Patrizia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 March 23 23:06 GMT (UK) »
 Yes I have seen the report in the New South Wales Police Gazette, thank you for mentioning it. I have also read the latter information on a family history tree. I need if possible to find some earlier info before this James Abbs left England for Australia.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 March 23 01:19 GMT (UK) »
James Abbs From NSW Police Gazette 18 Apr 1861

Deserted, on the 19th ultimo, from the 1st Battalion  of the 12th Regiment of Infantry at Lambing Flat,  Private James Abbs, No. 164, 20 years of age, 5 feet 7 inches high, fresh complexion, dark brown hair, grey eyes; enlisted at Great Yarmouth on the 7th January1859 ; native of Thorpe, Norfolk ; a laborer ; took part of regimental necessaries.

Other mentions – 2nd desertion and aliases
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/252041207?searchTerm=%22James%20Abbs%22

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/252040712/27918699

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/263976866?searchTerm=%22James%20Abbs%22
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 March 23 02:40 GMT (UK) »
This is the reason given...

The connection from James Hunter to James Hunt was based on DNA research, with 9 matching DNA connections established across 3 generations of Hunt ancestors. DNA also connects to Wright (Garner only) & Hunt (Hunt only) and Hunt (Hunt/Garner marriage) .

I can see the ABBS/HUNTER/LOGAN connection for this man from just having a brief look through the records - he kept deserting and changing his name.

I cannot see how they think that he wasn't born as ABBS apart from the DNA.  I wonder if they have looked at whether he is related to a HUNTER/HUNT family in a different way.  Do you have any ABBS connections in your family?

So far I cannot see that anyone has a copy of his marriage cert to see who he named as his parents.

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 March 23 03:20 GMT (UK) »
.....Census 1851 aged 10 years and died 1853*. All in Tharston Norfolk. Unfortunately, the *Registration gives the name of *James Hunt at the very top of the page but all details of any person named James Hunt is missing from the page.

Can you explain this?  What registration page?  The only death for a James HUNT in the reg district of Depwade was an infant under 12 months.

HUNT, JAMES
Aged 0 
GRO Reference: 1853  S Quarter in DEPWADE  Volume 04B  Page 147

Debra  :)

Offline Patrizia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 March 23 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Name:   James Hunt
Registration Quarter:   Jul-Aug-Sep
Death Registration Place:   Depwade, Norfolk, United Kingdom
Death Date:   Sep 1853
Inferred Death Place:   Norfolk, United Kingdom
Volume:   4b
Page:   147
Save  Cancel

When I view this in the original Register it states at the top James Hunt but there is no James Hunt on the page or the next page I appears there maybe a missing page.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 March 23 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrizia.

Have you copied/pasted that info from Ancestry?

Look at the ref no for it and it is the same as Debra has posted for you from the GRO which has the age of James.

It is the same entry, a child under 1 that is age 0
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Patrizia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, since having this pointed out to me I have removed the death notice of James Hunt from my Ancestry page as I accept it was incorrect. The last record I have of James Hunt B 1841 Baptism 25th April 1841 in Tharston Norfolk to John Hunt and Esther are the following the 1941 and 1851 Census at both times living still in Tharston with both parents. I have not found any further information for him such as marriage, census record or death as yet. As yet I cannot rule out that he was not the person that enlisted into the Army at Grt Yarmouth. Norfolk on the 7th January 1859 under an assumed name of James Abbs and a false age of 20 years when he was just 18 years. I need to keep searching for more information on James Hunt before I accept or rule out the James Abbs connection.  Anny assistance on this would be appreciated.