Author Topic: confirmation of the burial of H. E. Pellett  (Read 483 times)

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
confirmation of the burial of H. E. Pellett
« on: Friday 10 March 23 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello everybody,

I have been looking into what happened to a Mr H. E. Pellett (alt spelt: Pillett/Pellet). He was a second cabin passenger on board the ship Pleiades when it sailed to Lyttelton in 1880 https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~nzbound/genealogy/pleiades1880.htm. All I know is that he was quite young and upon his arrival to Lyttelton he was taken to hospital as he was sick, suffering from consumption. The ship had arrived in New Zealand on January 26th, 1880.

From my best efforts I managed to find an Edward Pellett, buried at Barbadoes Street Cemetery in Christchurch, who had died in March 1880 aged about 18.

Do you think these 2 men are the same person?

Warm regards,

Ashley
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: confirmation of the burial of H. E. Pellett
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 March 23 02:11 GMT (UK) »
From my best efforts I managed to find an Edward Pellett, buried at Barbadoes Street Cemetery in Christchurch, who had died in March 1880 aged about 18.

Hi Ashley

Well, they could be the same person ... but no apparent death notice and the Barbadoes Street cemetery record seems like it could be a "paupers grave" ?

This H.E. PELLETT (var. spelled) was "young" and a "compositor" by trade ... but he's hard to identify by occupation if he left England before the 1881 census.   [There are a couple of birth possibilities - maybe Wiltshire c. 1861 or  ... ??? ]

Archives New Zealand appear only to hold records of Pleiades voyages for 1870's and one in 1883.

You could try Christchurch Libraries - their B,M and D, card indexes for local churches (which I've mentioned to you before I think ?).    They may well have (further) information for the burial (in pauper's plot ?) at Barbadoes Street cemetery ?    Worth a try.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 March 23 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ashley

The 1861 birth at Wiltshire, ENG which I mentioned previously, may well be the one ???

Baptism at Salisbury, St Edmunds, Wiltshire :
Henry Edwin PALLETT*
born 11 October 1861 - baptised 1 Novemeber 1861
s/o Edwin PALLETT (cabinetmaker) and Emily PALLETT

---

1871 - at Wiltshire > St. Thomas

Shown as POLLETT  - but image very clearly shows "PELLETT"
Edwin - 32 - cabinetmaker and upholsterer
Emily 35
Henry - 10 - son
Eliza - 7 - dau
Laura - 4 dau

Part of this PELLETT family came to NZ :

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TS18920507.2.8
Laura PELLETT maried Joseph William SHIELDS in 1892 at her parents' residence.

Their first-born son (1893) was named "Henry Edwin" SHIELDS (do wonder then if this was after her "deceased" brother.    Eliza, the sister of Henry Edwin and Laura, had also apparently died in 1893 (ENG ?)

I wouldn't worry too much about "EDWIN v. EDWARD"  ... the two names are often confused.

So this Wiltshire, Henry Edwin PELLETT "marries up" quite well with the info found to date.

- On passenger list = H.E. PALLETT   
- Edward PELLETT - 18 years in  1880 - (bc 1862)  [Henry Edwin PELLETT - born October 1861]
- A later connection to NZ for parents Edwin and Emily PELLETT and daughter Laura (Laura's first son named "Henry Edwin".)

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 March 23 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Edwin PELLETT - died Canterbury - 13 October 1920 - 82 yrs
Emily Sarah PELLETT his wife - d. same - 5 September 1926 - 90 years
buried at Sydenham Cemetery, Christchurch.
Seems there is a headstone but this does not acknowledge other family members (e.g. a son who might have died in 1880.)

Meant to mention in earlier post, that I was not able to find H.E. PELLETT (or variants) bc 1861 on UK census returns after 1871.

~  Lu

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 March 23 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the information. The only thing I am trying understand is it says Edwin died aged 82, which would mean he was 42 in 1880 (born 1838). But he was suppose to be born in 1861? Did they just get his age wrong when he died?
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 March 23 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Edwin was the father, Henry Edwin [H. E. Pellett] his son.......

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 March 23 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the information. The only thing I am trying understand is it says Edwin died aged 82, which would mean he was 42 in 1880 (born 1838). But he was suppose to be born in 1861?    Did they just get his age wrong when he died?

As previously given ...

Hi Ashley

The 1861 birth at Wiltshire, ENG which I mentioned previously, may well be the one ???

Baptism at Salisbury, St Edmunds, Wiltshire :

Henry Edwin PALLETT*

born 11 October 1861 - baptised 1 November 1861

s/o Edwin PALLETT (cabinetmaker) and Emily PALLETT

~  Lu

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 21:36 GMT (UK) »

Hi Ashley

Well, they could be the same person ... but no apparent death notice and the Barbadoes Street cemetery record seems like it could be a "paupers grave" ?

This H.E. PELLETT (var. spelled) was "young" and a "compositor" by trade ... but he's hard to identify by occupation if he left England before the 1881 census.   [There are a couple of birth possibilities - maybe Wiltshire c. 1861 or  ... ??? ]

Archives New Zealand appear only to hold records of Pleiades voyages for 1870's and one in 1883.

You could try Christchurch Libraries - their B,M and D, card indexes for local churches (which I've mentioned to you before I think ?).    They may well have (further) information for the burial (in pauper's plot ?) at Barbadoes Street cemetery ?    Worth a try.

~  Lu

Thank you your suggestion Lu - the result was: church register index card for the burial of Edward Pellett shows that his next of kin was an Edwin Pellett and Edward's residence is given as Christchurch Hospital.