Author Topic: Morecambe Methodist 1901 burial  (Read 879 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Morecambe Methodist 1901 burial
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 March 23 14:43 GMT (UK) »
spelling isn't my strong point being dyslexic , so if there are mistakes I apologise because I don't always realise I have done them ,we often pop over to Morecambe for lunch in our favourite art deco building, I have never been into the cemetery , I wonder if there is a headstone
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 March 23 15:15 GMT (UK) »
- my great-great grandfather Joseph Passmore did serve the Wesleyan circuit in the area around this time so it is quite possible he would have taken the service.

Morecambe Guardian 02 June 1933 mentions the Rev J Passmore who has been Superintendent of the Morecambe Wesleyan circuit since September 1906. It mentions him being offered a post in India.

we often pop over to Morecambe for lunch in our favourite art deco building,
I am trying to think of a good excuse to go visit/stay in that building again but I seem to have run out of excuses to visit Heysham cemetery  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 March 23 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I have never been into the cemetery , I wonder if there is a headstone

According to this list https://www.lfhhs.org/lfhhs_org_uk_archive_2016/morecambeMC2.htm published by the Lancaster and Morecambe branch of the Lancashire Family History Society there is indeed a  headstone. However you have to be a member of the society to get a copy of the actual photo.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 March 23 21:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a booklet for the MIs of "Morecambe Municipal Cemetery" - this is the cemetery just off Hornby Terrace - published by the Lancaster & District Family History Group (which you can buy from them - see their website).  I have several relatives buried there, so it was worthwhile buying a copy. 
Yes, there is an MI for Henry Marshall and the following people are mentioned on it:
1)  Henry Marshall died July 2nd [sic] 1901 aged 68
2)  Eliza his wife died June 12th 1903 aged 72
3)  Evelyn, daughter of J.W. & Eva Marshall and grand-daughter of the above, died Feb 21st 1899 aged 6 months
4)  Clara, daughter of the above H. & E. Marshall died July 14th 1930 aged 68.

no other people called Marshall with an MI in that cemetery.
Ian

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 11 March 23 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this - I wonder what it means by 2nd internment - that they re-buried him for some reason? Goodness. Thank you both again.

As Radcliff has said, this was the 2nd interment (note spelling :D ) in this grave.

Here's a link to the Graves Register
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-Z9V6-2?i=224&cat=996486

Thanks - yes, aware of the difference, down with flu so not parsing information as efficiently as I might like!:)

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 11 March 23 21:47 GMT (UK) »
P.R. Passmore was very likely a relative as the families were married into one another. I wonder if P.R. Passmore is correct - my great-great grandfather Joseph Passmore did serve the Wesleyan circuit in the area around this time so it is quite possible he would have taken the service.

I think it's likely to have been Philip R. Passmore, who was also a Wesleyan Minister, resident in Townley Street, Morecambe in 1901.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9GB-MJ2

Yes, having viewed the original now I can see that it wouldn't be - sometimes Js and Ps can be a bit ambiguous in the script of the day so figured it was a possibility. I think Philip is another cousin though - will have to check - thank you so much! :)

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 March 23 21:49 GMT (UK) »
- my great-great grandfather Joseph Passmore did serve the Wesleyan circuit in the area around this time so it is quite possible he would have taken the service.

Morecambe Guardian 02 June 1933 mentions the Rev J Passmore who has been Superintendent of the Morecambe Wesleyan circuit since September 1906. It mentions him being offered a post in India.

we often pop over to Morecambe for lunch in our favourite art deco building,
I am trying to think of a good excuse to go visit/stay in that building again but I seem to have run out of excuses to visit Heysham cemetery  ;D

Thank you. :)

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 March 23 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I have never been into the cemetery , I wonder if there is a headstone

According to this list https://www.lfhhs.org/lfhhs_org_uk_archive_2016/morecambeMC2.htm published by the Lancaster and Morecambe branch of the Lancashire Family History Society there is indeed a  headstone. However you have to be a member of the society to get a copy of the actual photo.

Really useful, appreciated. I'm likely to visit Lancaster again within the year so may hold off paying for a photo but the booklet still looks interesting!

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 March 23 21:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a booklet for the MIs of "Morecambe Municipal Cemetery" - this is the cemetery just off Hornby Terrace - published by the Lancaster & District Family History Group (which you can buy from them - see their website).  I have several relatives buried there, so it was worthwhile buying a copy. 
Yes, there is an MI for Henry Marshall and the following people are mentioned on it:
1)  Henry Marshall died July 2nd [sic] 1901 aged 68
2)  Eliza his wife died June 12th 1903 aged 72
3)  Evelyn, daughter of J.W. & Eva Marshall and grand-daughter of the above, died Feb 21st 1899 aged 6 months
4)  Clara, daughter of the above H. & E. Marshall died July 14th 1930 aged 68.

no other people called Marshall with an MI in that cemetery.
Ian

Thank you so much!