Author Topic: Morecambe Methodist 1901 burial  (Read 883 times)

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Morecambe Methodist 1901 burial
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I was born and brought up in Morecambe.

In 1901 the town barely existed, it was a boom time with building works everywhere.

There is Morecambe Parish Church which is located behind the ex Town Hall (it is clearly visible from the Promenade) in the East End of Town.

There is a graveyard around it but I have never been in either, if there was another graveyard then it is possible that it and the residents were moved to one of the two graveyards in use today.

Today there are graveyards on Westgate about 400 yards from the Shrimp Roundabout.

Then there is the one on Hale Carr in Heysham.

St Peter’s church and graveyard in Heysham is still used, if you have never been its well worth visiting this Church and the nearby Barrows Headland NT owned land.

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 31 March 23 15:54 BST (UK) »
I was born and brought up in Morecambe.

In 1901 the town barely existed, it was a boom time with building works everywhere.

There is Morecambe Parish Church which is located behind the ex Town Hall (it is clearly visible from the Promenade) in the East End of Town.

There is a graveyard around it but I have never been in either, if there was another graveyard then it is possible that it and the residents were moved to one of the two graveyards in use today.

Today there are graveyards on Westgate about 400 yards from the Shrimp Roundabout.

Then there is the one on Hale Carr in Heysham.

St Peter’s church and graveyard in Heysham is still used, if you have never been its well worth visiting this Church and the nearby Barrows Headland NT owned land.

Thank you so much, I'm heading up tomorrow and will take a look over the next couple of weeks.

Offline frian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 31 March 23 18:11 BST (UK) »
following on from my earlier email re the MI. --the cemetery you want is actually next to Holy Trinity Church, the old Parish Church for Morecambe (but not the church graveyard - it's a separate area next to it).  It's also not far from the police station  (the one which appears in the current detective programme "The Bay" on television).   If this helps, the entrance to the cemetery is at the end of Church Street, just at the point where the metalled road becomes the back street for Hornby Terrace.
Have a look on streetview and you can see this clearly.
Ian