Author Topic: John Alexander b. 1826 Tynemouth  (Read 194 times)

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Alexander b. 1826 Tynemouth
« on: Saturday 11 March 23 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I am researching back from John to try and find a link to one of my distant DNA matches. I am putting this here, as it took me a while to get to this point and it may help someone else..

John Alexander was a tallow chandler of full age at his marriage on 1st March 1864 at Jesmond to Mary J Anderson. His father from the marriage certificate was also John, a builder. Census shows John junior was born about 1826 in North Shields.

John Alexander senior is in Tynemouth 1841 to 1861 as unmarried. In 1861 John junior is with a Susannah Alexander spinster age 56 also born N.Shields.

I found a bapt on Tynemouth BT in 1826 for John Alexander HUTCHINSON son of Susannah Hutchinson single woman, abode Camden Street. John Alexander senior owned property in that street, see poll books.

Back to the 1841 and 1851 census looking for John and Susannah.Not down as Alexander or Hutchinson, but ATKINSON in Tynemouth. John Atkinson in 1851 is a Tallow chandler which clinches it.

A Susannah Atkinson chr 1804 Tynemouth, from freereg,  daughter of Gawin Atkinson and Margaret Cook, seems to fit well.

Anyone else researching these people?
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Alexander b. 1826 Tynemouth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 March 23 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Fiddlerslass
Firstly can I say you've done really Well !
I'm not related or researching these people
But I did spot a Will on the National Will Index for John Alexander Senior.
John Alexander gentleman late of North Shields died 12 Sept 1863  at North Shields.Provwen by brother Thomas Alexander pf North Shields Gentleman and John Alexander of Tyne St North Shields tallow Chandler Executors
Estate under £1500
So it looks like father and son where in contact and John Alexander senior remembers him in his Will.

Christening Tynemouth John Alexander 19th July 1784 s of Arthur Alexander Bways/Dwrays Square
 carpenter
Thomas 28 Oct 1795 s of Arthur and Barbara N Shields joiner
William 21.11.1790
Arthur 2 April 1794 s of Arthur and Barbara N Shields joiner

The couple married by licence at Tynemouth 21 April 1783
Arthur Alexander and Barbara Blacklock (bapt South Shields 16.3.1762 d of William and Alice)
Arthur was buried 5.5.1811 having died on the 2nd  joiner Tynemouth age 61 of N Shields
Barbara buried 31.7.1824 of Camden point age 63 years

Thomas's Will was proven 20 July 1866 worth under £6000.No mention of John Alexander in the index but Thomas was a widower so may have had children of his own.
I'm willing to bet Gt Grandad was Thomas Alexander joiner buried  11 Sep 1786 Tynemouth
Wife Jane widow buried 17.3.1798 age 80.Died 15th of North Shields.

As for the Atkinsons
Gavin Forrest Atkinson bapt 3 Jan 1802 born 3 Dec 1801 s of Gawin roper of North Shields by his wife Margaret Cook  N of  Bothwell
Can't get original for Susanna up
John 4.2.1787 ,Mary 25.4.1790 ,Robert 27.11.1791,Margaret 4 Jan 1795 North Shields,Margaret 30.7.1797 G and M cook NShields roper.

Gawin bapt 14.11.1764 Earsdon by N Shields s of Robert
He married 23.10.1785 at South Shields to Mary Cook.(not seen the original to check her name)
Gawen buried of bedford St Tynemouth 29 May 1838 age 76 years
Margaret 20.4.1834 wife of Gawen age 70 Church Way

Gawin seaman charged with theft of a watch 24.11.1827 from his shipmate John Micheal of the Mentor could well be Susannah's brother.He got 3 months.

Does that help in any way.
I'm sure you've got most of that but you never know there may be something extra.

Ciderdrinker

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Alexander b. 1826 Tynemouth
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 March 23 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for going to all this trouble. I had some of it but there's plenty to chew over and lots of useful leads.

I couldn't find the original of Susannah's baptism on the BT either. Found the others but missed Mary 1790, so thanks for that. Agree Gavin born 1764 Backworth, son of Robert is mostly likely baptism. Not having any luck so far with Mary/ Margaret Cook, supposedly from Bothwell.

Thomas Alexander d.1866 in Edinburgh and John Alexander junior, nephew , was the informant. Thomas was the widower of Ann Guy who died shortly after their 1831 marriage. John junior named a child Ann Guy Alexander.

I've got a mini Alexander tree which is very much a work in progress on A*y . The link to my family is so far proving elusive. Unfortunately there is also a Smith family to research :(

Regards,
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia