Author Topic: Evelyn Maud Thomas, born 24 August 1901, Cwmavon, Glamorganshire  (Read 212 times)

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evelyn Maud Thomas, born 24 August 1901, Cwmavon, Glamorganshire
« on: Saturday 11 March 23 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I am pulling my hair out!!!

I have a DNA match on ancestry which indicates a 2nd / 3rd cousin.
Because of “thru lines” I narrowed the match down to my paternal great grandparents.

I contacted the “match” but he had no idea of where we could be related. However a few days later stated that his mother was born in Cwmavon, Glamorganshire on 24th August 1901 and her parents were Richard Thomas and Rachel Harris.

Richard, born 1856 (bap June 1856 at 6 weeks old) was the brother of my great grandmother Hannah Thomas, b. 1858 and baptised in the same church in October 1858.
So this could be the match.

Richard Thomas married Rachel Harris in 1887 and had three children that I can find. From census returns it looks like Rachel had a child before marrying Richard.

Looking at the 1911 census I can find no mention of Evelyn Maud Thomas and by 1921 Richard is a widower living with his daughter and her family along with Handel, one of his sons.)

Looking at the BMD indexes I cannot not find a birth entry to match the date and parent’s surnames.

My DNA match is adamant that his mother grew up in Cwmafan.

I feel I now need another pair of eyes to see if anyone can find any entries for Evelyn Maud Thomas.

Many thanks for your help
SNG

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Evelyn Maud Thomas, born 24 August 1901, Cwmavon, Glamorganshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 March 23 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello SNG,

GRO has her birth registered under Eveline (rather than Evelyn).

Additionally, there is a 'Cooke' family tree in Ancestry which, besides having a lovely (profile) photo of her, may well hit the spot for you.

Willyam

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 March 23 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Looks like she is a parlourmaid (as Evelyn Maud Thomas) in 1921, to a doctor and family in Hastings. Recorded as born in Coomaven  ;D. Can't find her in 1911 yet, strange she's not with her family, but maybe with grandparents.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 March 23 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Willyam.

Funny because I have just sent all those details about the parents of Eveline to the “tree maker” along with all the links to each census etc! I’ve spent the last couple of evenings looking for everything.
He provided me with the name of his mother and despite just putting E* etc, I still couldn’t find the birth.
As I said, a pair of fresh eyes usually helps so many thanks.

Thank you too Deirdre784.
I agree regarding the 1911 census. Considering she is only ten years of age I would have expected her to be with her parents. Now that the rugby has finished for the day I will attempt to find her in the 1911 census.
Thanks for the 1921 link.
According to the tree, she trained as a midwife in Aldershot. I know her mother passed away between 1911 and 1921 so I’m wondering if there is a link to the family she is with in 1921.
I know it won’t be THOMAS / DAVIES / HARRIS relative!!

Thanks again both. Your help is very much appreciated.
Best wishes
SNG