Author Topic: Williams in Dublin  (Read 143 times)

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams in Dublin
« on: Saturday 11 March 23 11:49 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to find some record of my great grandfather's birth for several years and each time I come up against a brick wall. I don't know if anyone on here can help please.
Here are the details.
His name was John Andrew Williams.
Birth 1840 or 1841 either in Dublin or in Cork
First marriage to Jane Gill on 3rd June 1871 age 30. Jane was 18.
Father's name William Williams. Occupation solicitor
John's occupation marine engineer
Place Newcastle.
Marriage was reported in the Carlisle Patriot. Father's name and occupation given as William Williams, Dublin solicitor.

Second marriage to Emma Gill on 7th May 1877
John's age 37, Emma's age 21
John's occupation engineer.
Widower
Father's name William Campbell Williams, occupation solicitor.
Place West Ham Essex.

English census information where the form was completed by someone else gives the birth place as Queenstown and as Cork. Later census information that John was likely to have given just says Ireland.
John Lived in Yarmouth in Norfolk later on in his life.

I have lots of information on his likely father Campbell William Williams and all of the family but I've never been able to find any sort of record that details his birth. I hoped there might be something in a newspaper or maybe in a Merchant Navy list since he was a seagoing engineer on the steamships.
It may be that I've done the best I can. I think any baptismal record would have been lost in the fire. Older siblings' records have survived. The family was not Catholic. I don't know if there are any siblings whose records have also been lost.

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams in Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 March 23 18:39 GMT (UK) »
It looks like I'll just have to accept I'm at a brick wall. Maybe I'll come back to it in a year or and hope there are some more records online.