Author Topic: Finding Jane Mercer in the 1851 census  (Read 237 times)

Offline Aguella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding Jane Mercer in the 1851 census
« on: Sunday 12 March 23 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I have never been able to find my 2 x great-grandmother, Jane Mercer (1836-1929), in the 1851 census. I've tried the obvious tricks (removing surname from searches etc), but no luck. I'll post the details here, and hopefully some fresh eyes may help.

Jane was born in November 1836 in Frittenden, daughter of Robert and Mercy Sabina Mercer.

Jane appears with her parents in the 1841 census at Gold House, Frittenden: 472/22 Folio: 7 Page: 7.

Her parents are still there in the 1851 census: HO107/1619 Folio: 7 Page: 7. Jane's three siblings - Sabina, Robert, and George, are all there, but not Jane.

Jane is not with her maternal grandparents, James & Elizabeth Carpenter, at Witsonden in Frittenden. Her paternal grandparents were deceased.

George attended Ashford Grammar School in the 1850s. I wonder if Jane was away at school somewhere in 1851 - perhaps enumerated incorrectly?

Jane married in 1858 and I have her in the 1861-1921 censuses with her marital family.

The family has been extensively researched, I just need to hone in and find Jane in 1851. Or - if none of us have any luck - tentatively accept that she may simply not be recorded.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, leads, very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Researching my Kentish hop growing ancestors, one pint at a time!

https://www.mercerhopgrowers.com/

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Jane Mercer in the 1851 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 March 23 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Jane married in 1858

Where did she marry and what was her residence at time of marriage?

At 15 in 1851 she could have been in service as a domestic somewhere away from home and be tricky to locate.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Aguella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Milliepede,

Thank you very much for your reply and suggestions.

Jane married on 1 November 1858 at Frittenden. It was a double wedding alongside her sister Sabina. I don't have the marriage certificate (and therefore no residence info); the details come from the newspaper announcements (where she is described as the youngest daughter of Mr. Robert Mercer, of Frittenden).

I certainly cannot discount it outright, but I can say I really doubt Jane would have been in service. Her father was one of the largest hop growers in Kent and from census returns and newspaper notices we know all members of the family retained at least a few household staff. Her father, in particular, was a very proud man and I doubt he would have allowed his daughter to go into service.

Sabina, who was Jane's older sister, is with their parents in 1851 and is described as a farmer's daughter. I doubt the younger Jane would have been anything but a scholar/farmer's daughter at this time. I really think she's most likely to be away at school somewhere.

I've just had a fresh thought, I wonder if she could have been abroad, e.g. France - either with school or a finishing class? I know she had an affinity with France later in life.

Thanks again, this is exactly what I need to do, a careful analysis, weighing up each and every possibility. Very much appreciated! 

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 07:00 GMT (UK) »

"Jane married in 1858 and I have her in the 1861-1921 censuses with her marital family."

It would be useful to have the marriage certificate to see the witnesses named, and any addresses.

Offline Aguella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Right, I'll add it to the list! It's low down since I already have the date, place, officiating minister, other details etc from newspaper announcements. I'd certainly expect Jane to still be at Gold House, where her parents lived from the 1830s until their deaths in 1888.

But you're absolutely right, no assumptions in genealogy! Thank you very much for your reply.