Author Topic: WHAT IS THE POINT? by "Fed Up"  (Read 4201 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WHAT IS THE POINT? by "Fed Up"
« on: Sunday 12 March 23 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I've been drawn to look at some names on my online trees.  I haven't checked everything but have noticed that Mr Nobody has incorrectly "corrected" the spellings of my kin.   Against the names of my kin that I have documentation to back the facts and additionally the ancestors involved are not some distant past shadows, they died when I was a baby.

What is the point of some people's actions of altering information that is backed up by documentation.

What drew these people on familysearch.org to "amend" my grandfather's middle Scottish names "Stephenson Dalglish"  to "Stevenson Dalgliesh" and what caused myheritage the amendment of my gt. grandmother's surname to "Mumford" instead of her actual surname of "Munford"?
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT IS THE POINT? by "Fed Up"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 March 23 18:44 GMT (UK) »
I had a similar irritation on Family Search this week.

Someone had given my great-great-grandmother a new first name. There were around 15 sources already attached to the person... all with the same correct name, so goodness knows why they did that.

I have sometimes altered things on Family Search but I have always added a note, in an attempt to collaborate and explain my suggestion. Not that anyone has ever replied 😂

It really irritates me that this person changed a name and did not even attempt to explain why they thought they were right!

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 March 23 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Yet  another reason why I won't put my tree online!
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 March 23 19:13 GMT (UK) »
It's not the being online emeltom it's being online on familysearch.  Their aim is to have a collaborative tree that anybody can amend which is why you get the issues mentioned above.

I assume people use it because it is free but without ownership these things are bound to happen.

An online tree on a site where you own the tree is much more robust.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 March 23 20:28 GMT (UK) »
  I had never looked at the family trees on FamilySearch, so I looked at one with the same fore- and surname as my gr gr grandfather (a fairly uncommon surname). I soon shut it down for the sake of my blood pressure!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 March 23 21:12 GMT (UK) »
For the life of me I don't understand why people get so upset by errors (even gross errors) in online trees.  I don't have an online tree anywhere so no one messes with my tree.  If there are mistakes, they're mine.  But I'm glad other people put their trees online because they often contain useful clues.  Just because you find a mistake doesn't mean the whole tree is wrong; just because there's no source given doesn't mean there is no source; just because the information is incomplete doesn't mean it can't be completed.

If you were to rummage around the specimen drawers in the Smithsonian or the Natural History Museum in London or any other museum, you'd find plenty of misidentified, mislabeled or incorrectly filed specimens.  Shocking!  Mistakes are made but life goes on.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline ajm314159

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 March 23 21:18 GMT (UK) »
^^^ like
Malton (London)
Eades (Somerset)
Johnson (Wimborne, East Dorset)
Hopkins (Roxburgh., Yorks.)
Kidd (Westmoreland)
Lake (East Cambridgeshire)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 March 23 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I don't have a Family tree online, but the ones I have seen that relate to my line sometimes have glaring errors. A male relative of mine, according one online tree, married his second wife six years after his death? I usually message them with the correct info.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 March 23 22:36 GMT (UK) »

If you were to rummage around the specimen drawers in the Smithsonian or the Natural History Museum in London or any other museum, you'd find plenty of misidentified, mislabeled or incorrectly filed specimens.  Shocking!  Mistakes are made but life goes on.

... but why go to the trouble of physically altering somebody else's work that has been backed up by documentation?
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke