Author Topic: Gatehouse Family Lookup Request  (Read 175 times)

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gatehouse Family Lookup Request
« on: Sunday 12 March 23 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I'm not sure if anyone will be able to find them since they could be in tents/not in the census- but i've been surprised by people helping me find others from the same family before so thought i'd ask. 
I don't have Eliza Wood (abt 1818/1820 - 1898) or her husband Henry Gatehouse (1815-1882) on any censuses (accept Henry on one).
I don't actually know when Eliza was born as no baptism, her parents were Jasper and Hester Wood. She died in Folkestone and got married in Alkham in 1836. According to find a grave she died in ''Elham Union, Lyminge''.
Henry Gatehouse was born in 1815 in Walmer and died in 1882 in ''The Narrows'' Folkestone.

According to their final daughter, Louisa's baptism they were living on Church Street in Folkestone, which is the street that Eliza's mother Hester was living on (and can be seen on censuses on) and also where lots of their children stayed at during the censuses. But cannot find Eliza and Henry on Church Street at all.

I think I might have found Henry Gatehouse on one census in 1881, alone and lodging in The Bricklayers Arms on Fenchurch Street in Folkestone. He is written down as a marine store dealer, born in walmer, 63 years old and married. Rest of the family aren't there.

Thanks to anyone who has a look, any information on them is also appreciated :)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Gatehouse Family Lookup Request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 March 23 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Eliza Gatehouse was buried at  Folkestone, Ss Mary & Eanswith on 10 Feb 1898 age 80 - her address was 5 The Narrows. 

ADDED Henrys burial at the same church gives address as Narrows - burial 3 February 1882 age 66
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gatehouse Family Lookup Request
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 March 23 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!
I will check if I can see anything on censuses on the narrows.

edit: At 5 The Narrows in 1891 they are not there. However, their granddaughter Charlotte Gatehouse and her husband Benjamin Todd are, along with their children.  ???
It looks like the narrows was only made up of 11 houses. Will check in other censuses for them on the narrows.
Again in 1881, they are not there but their daughter Matilda and her husband and children are...
Can't see any relation in 1871 census and in the 1861 census the Narrows don't seem to exist