Author Topic: Is looking for Cork baptisms c. 1819-1836 completely pointless?  (Read 328 times)

Offline HopefulToff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is looking for Cork baptisms c. 1819-1836 completely pointless?
« on: Sunday 12 March 23 18:55 GMT (UK) »
For about seven years, infrequently, I've been trying to get back to Irish soil with my 4x-great-grandmother and her brothers' baptisms. Ellen Mullins nee Howes was born in 1819-ish. The 1851 census says she's 32, but I've found a death certificate that says she could have born in 1816. Anyway, in 1851 her brothers Charles and John House (probably just a census-taker mishearing the accent) are living with the Mullinses in St. Luke's parish in London. Charles was born c. 1834, John c. 1836. I've tried searching for all three known Howes siblings repeatedly in Cork to NO avail.  ??? I have no idea whether they were Catholic or Protestant.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Is looking for Cork baptisms c. 1819-1836 completely pointless?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 01:14 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea whether they were Catholic or Protestant.

I see that Ellen married Dennis Mullins in a Protestant church in 1835, but I believe - and correct me anyone if I am incorrect - that before 1837 it was a legal requirement to marry in the Church of England.

I can see that they baptised their children at the Catholic Chapel in Moorfields (available to view on FindMyPast), so it stands to reason that they were Catholics.

Anyway, in 1851 her brothers Charles and John House (probably just a census-taker mishearing the accent) are living with the Mullinses in St. Luke's parish in London. Charles was born c. 1834, John c. 1836.

Have you tried tracing these siblings to see if they married? If they did, then their marriage certificates will give you the father's name and occupation.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 17:20 GMT (UK) »

I can see that they baptised their children at the Catholic Chapel in Moorfields (available to view on FindMyPast), so it stands to reason that they were Catholics.

It stands to reason that one of them was Catholic. Not necessarily Ellen.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 18:06 GMT (UK) »

True. Would be unusual, though, in my experience. Usually people married within the faith, but there were, of course, exceptions.

Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 20:24 GMT (UK) »

True. Would be unusual, though, in my experience. Usually people married within the faith, but there were, of course, exceptions.

Mixed marriages were obviously not the rule, but neither were they unheard of. I certainly have some in my ancestry.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area