Author Topic: George Tindle  (Read 674 times)

Offline Bvc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
George Tindle
« on: Sunday 12 March 23 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the birth details of George Tindle, sometimes Tindal who was married in Earsdon to Sarah Hogg in 1797. They had a son Thomas in 1798.
I believe George had family in South Shields so it may be that he was born in Durham but I can't find a birth anywhere. I would like to rule out Northumberland before I widen my search.
I have tried the larde sites and Durham Records online.
Can anyone suggest anything else. Thanks.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Tindle
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 March 23 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Disregard my last, it looks as though he died the same year. He also had a brother, also George, born 1773 who died 1774, so ignore him as well.

There is a burial in Earsdon for a George Tindle 13 August 1815, aged 53 so a yob of c1762.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Bvc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 23 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou. I will check this out.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 23 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Had a look for you, and came up with a possible for George's family.

As emeltom has already mentioned, there is a burial for George which gives an estimated birth year of 1762. There is also perhaps another clue in the name of his first son, Thomas, which - if he followed traditional naming conventions - suggests that his father may also be Thomas.

George married in Earsdon, and is described as 'of this parish', so I had a look for other Tindles in this area around the time of George's estimated birth year. There is a Thomas Tindle baptising children at exactly the right time in Earsdon. He had lots of children there. I cannot see a George, but I cannot see an image of the parish register; I am having to rely exclusively on transcriptions.

I have searched on all the main genealogy sites - both free and subscription - and cannot find images of the Earsdon parish registers. To confirm my hunch that George is a son of this Thomas, I think you will really need to see the register itself. Firstly, to view the witnesses at George's wedding to Sarah, as that could give you the name of a sibling. Secondly, to see if there is a gap or damage to the register around the year 1762; if there is, this is good evidence that George could be within that illegible/missing portion.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Bvc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. When Thomas born 1798 married Elizabeth in Jarrow in 1829 the register shows the witnesses as Thomas Sheldon and Elizabeth Dodds. Sadly as I move through the registers this couple appear to witness virtually every marriage in the parish. The vicar obviously did not bother with witnesses and just out down these two name. No help with family names there.
I have a strange copy of the marrieage entry of George and Sarah but it just seems to be a piece torn from something else. No witnesses named.
You have encouraged me to keep on looking. I think we ae in the right place.

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 March 23 21:45 GMT (UK) »
The Earsdon Parish Registers with original page images are freely available on Family Search under Bishops Transcripts and cover the years 1762 to 1844.
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline Bvc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 23 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I will check this out staright away.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 08:53 BST (UK) »
Jane Tindle
daughter of George a pot maker
abode Seaton Sluice,
mother Sarah nee Hog
died 19th June 1811
buried 22nd June,
aged 7,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,