Author Topic: Birth date only  (Read 524 times)

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth date only
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 March 23 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hypothetically within OPR entries would a search by date for a surname common in the parish not potentially yield an entry whose image might also show other entries for the same date? It has been a while since I last used the site so they may no longer return an image of the register page. Was it also not possible to navigate forward or back an image at that point so if there were multiple entries for the date you'd at least be starting from the right place.

S_L

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 March 23 17:39 GMT (UK) »
OPR is pre 1855 - see earlier threads by poster - period is post 1855
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 March 23 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hypothetically within OPR entries would a search by date for a surname common in the parish not potentially yield an entry whose image might also show other entries for the same date?
Yes.

Was it also not possible to navigate forward or back an image at that point so if there were multiple entries for the date you'd at least be starting from the right place.
Yes, that is still possible.

However as CaroleW has pointed out, the question in this thread relates to a birth much later than what is contained in the OPRs.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 March 23 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for clarifying about the dates CaroleW and
thank you for confirming that approach would still work for OPRs, Forfarian.
S_L

Offline McKelvieClan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I have received the boarding out cards for an Ann Morrison and really thought this was my grandmother.  The birth date was out by 2 days.  Checked on Ancestry and someone had the same details and a death for the person  on one of their trees.  I sent off for the death certificate and these details are  not my grandmother. 

Quick Recap
Ann Royston Moryson  married William McKelvie 1938 Blythswood Glasgow age on wedding certificate 26 puts her date of birth 1912 living at 1 Lawrence Street Glasgow
Father Andrew Royston  Moryson- Analytical Chemist deceased
Mother Margaret Moryson re McMillan
No record of marriage between parents
Moryson spelling does change to Morrison on her children's birth certificates and her death certificate

1935 Campsie Stirling - This is her daughter
Isobel Sloss born 1935 at 22 Service Street, Lennoxtown to Agnes Winning Sloss - Daughter of  a spirit salesman
22 Service Street Lennoxtown is the address of a Margaret Sloss re McMillan widowed had been married to an Andrew Sloss

1911 Census Campsie Margaret and Andrew Sloss have an adopted daughter called Nancy Sloss born Lanarkshire, Glasgow aged 6 - This would put date of birth 1905

1921 Census Campsie Nancy is now called Agnes Sloss and is aged 16 and is recorded as daughter of Margaret and Andrew

There is an Agnes Train Winning in Campsie she marries aged 25 in 1903 George McArthur.  Her father William Winning - Joiner and mother Janet Stevenson re Miller.  I cant find any details  for them in UK.  Ancestry does have records on other peoples trees as going to Canada.  I dont have the worldwide subscription.  He dies 1943 in Canada and she dies 1964 Canada.

She does have a sister Isabella Robertson Winning who marries an Archibald Miller Morrison.  Isabella dies 1966 at Boldernock, widow of Archibald Morrison.  Archibald Morrison died 82 in 1942. 

Ann Morrison McKelvie dies in 1982 in Halifax.  Date and  place or birth is 22 August 1910 Scotland. The space for maiden name is left blank. 
I did contact the crematorium where she was cremated and they only have the above details.

Hope this all makes sense.  Have I missed something? What else can I do? I would be thinking Agnes Sloss is not Ann Morrison but her daughter's birth clarifies its her. 

Any suggestions gratefully received.