Author Topic: RAF cloth badges  (Read 365 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: RAF cloth badges
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 March 23 18:24 GMT (UK) »

You haven't attached the photo  :D
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 March 23 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Silly me! I've since found this information on the RAFmuseum.org.uk site. That the wearing of  'Other Ranks' Service Dress caps was suspended in 1939 for the duration of the Second World War, and were only re-introduced in 1952. As he was wearing insignia that you advised were LAC (Leading Aircraftman) (which I think is the same rank as Corporal?) am I right in assuming it would have applied to him?
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 March 23 20:07 GMT (UK) »
"LAC (Leading Aircraftman) (which I think is the same rank as Corporal?)"

An LAC is below the rank of Corporal, the following link explains the history of Other Ranks in the RAF:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_other_ranks

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 March 23 20:21 GMT (UK) »
The photo of the RAF Cap looks like the 1996 pattern ' other ranks' with a cloth badge (with Queen Elizabeth Crown). Previously 'other ranks' had a metal cap badge and in the 1940s a King George Crown.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 March 23 20:53 GMT (UK) »
These replies are all so helpful - thank you all. ‘Tonepad’ - Your information is particularly helpful - it reassures me that my initial thoughts about the authenticity of this re-enactor’s “1940s” uniform were well founded. Some re-enactors pay great attention to detail and accuracy - some others are less scrupulous, “anything goes”!
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)