Author Topic: Duplicate an Ancestry Tree  (Read 307 times)

Offline Aguella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duplicate an Ancestry Tree
« on: Monday 13 March 23 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I have a tree on Ancestry. It contains my research for a very in-depth study of the descendants of a couple who married in 1834. I would like to keep this tree as it is, as an easy reference point just for the descendants of this particular couple.

However, I have plans in the near future to extend my work and go to the descendants of the husband's siblings, so, therefore all the descendants of his parents who married in 1785.

I want this to be in a new Ancestry tree, to keep the original tree just for the 1834+ branch. However, I want to avoid having to replicate all the work (thousands of photographs & records etc!).

Is there a way I can create a duplicate of the 1834+ tree to then use as the foundation for the 1785+ tree?

Hope I've explained that decently. Let me know if not. Many thanks for any pointers!
Researching my Kentish hop growing ancestors, one pint at a time!

https://www.mercerhopgrowers.com/

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Duplicate an Ancestry Tree
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I don't use Ancestry or any other online tree but isn't there an option to download/back up your tree?

If so you could do that, import the resulting .ged file into any desktop program, prune the tree as required then upload the results to a new tree (assuming you're allowed more than one!).

So, the steps would be:

Leave existing Ancestry tree as is
Download entire tree
Import downloaded tree to desktop app, prune as required and save as new tree
Upload resulting pruned tree to new tree online

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Duplicating an Ancestry tree using Gedcom won't transfer any photos or documents.

You will, however, get lots of hints from the original tree!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Easiest way is to buy software that works with Ancestry.

Roots Magic is one, you create a new project in the software and when prompted point it to your Ancestry tree and it downloads a copy together with all the documents and media related to your tree.

Then you can error check using the Roots Magic

Once checked, upload it into Ancestry as a New tree.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that tip. Biggles  :)

Add - I use Family Historian and it seems to only sync with FS and My Heritage. I can only upload my Ancestry tree as a Gedcom.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***