Author Topic: Help with looking up my 6th Great G Aunt from a prestigious Family  (Read 386 times)

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with looking up my 6th Great G Aunt from a prestigious Family
« on: Monday 13 March 23 12:59 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my Huguenot roots in the Middlesex/london area.Namely , my 6th G G Aunt Elizabeth De Rouffignac b 1746 in Croydon Surrey . The time line is so far back that i am having trouble with this. Therefore , i would like help if possible in finding out about Eliz's life after Marriage. Elizabeth came from a prestigious Huguenot Family , her Father was a Guy D E Rouffignac . All i know is that Elizabeth Married a Francis Davies in 1746 in Ludgate London . I imagine they stayed in this area . They are no more than names and Dates in a page , so i wonder if they had any Children ? to add onto my Family tree . I appreciate any help here thank you.   

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with looking up my 6th Great G Aunt from a prestigious Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 March 23 14:21 GMT (UK) »
There are three baptisms for children of Francis Davies and Elizabeth at St Clement Danes:-

John on 9th March 1748, Ann on 26th October 1752 and another John on 21st October 1755.

I can't see any other marriages of a Francis to Elizabeth at around that time, so they could be their Children.

There are several trees on Ancestry which have the marriage, but no children.

David

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 March 23 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks DCB for the latest on Elizabeth and Husband's Children . It is interesting and i will follow this up . I have contacted my relative with the news and she will also look into this. It would be great if it where true! . In the meantime keep the updates coming if possible. Thank you so much.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is a licence for their marriage 23 Dec 1746 Francis age 28 of Deveroux Crt Middlesex and Elizabeth of St brides Fleet st ,age 21 years.
She was baptised at Croydon St John 28th July 1724 .born 20th
Parents  Guy and and Alice

Guy married first at Croydon Mary Vincent 25 Sep 1718
Secondly as Guidon to Alice Kirril  30 March 1722 at Lee Kent.He was of Croydon Doctor and she of Langham,Beckenham .She was buried at Sevonoaks 28 March 1765
He was buried St bride Fleet St 29 Nov 1747 age 65 years MD (so a Doctor?)
That year his Land Tax record gives him as Gough Square Farringdon without off Fleet Str £6.
Children John 30.7.1723 Croydon-28 Aug 1730  ,Elizabeth 1724,Charlotte 14 Sep 1725,Mary Magdalen 23 Sep 1726 ,Frances 25.11.1727- 10.9.1730 ,William 25.7.1729 ,Henry 4 Jan  1730 , Penelope 1.8.1731 and Theophillus 1.Jan 1733 St Brides

There is a Peter Rouffignac also buried at St Brides 4 Jan 1746 age 64 a Reverend.

It does look like Peter is his brother and his father is Jacob de Rouffignoc .Jacob  made a Will proven at PCCanterbury 1721 which names Guy and Peter and their sister Susanna.Helpfully he gives his parents as Thomas de R and Mary de la Motte.There is lot on his religion and his fleeing from France .He seems to be quite rich and there are properties mentioned.
Jacob born 6 Jan 1640 • La Rochefoucauld, Charente, Poitou-Charentes, France

Not having a lot of luck with the Davies's. Sorry

Does that help?

Ciderdrinker

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 13:31 GMT (UK) »
For completeness and to avoid any unnecessary duplication of effort, see Tornado's other thread on a related topic: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=871093.0

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Looked through the Protestant baptisms in Larochefoucauld for Jacob in 1640 but couldn't see him there. You ARE lucky to have a link to such an illustrious family with so much written about them, including by the Huguenot Society.
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks