Author Topic: Derbyshire or Staffordshire?  (Read 570 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Derbyshire or Staffordshire?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 14:29 GMT (UK) »
'My' John & Lydia married in 1808. Lydia would have been only 14 and John 15 in 1802.  It would appear from all that has recently been found that my family had nothing to do with Worcs. at all...the whole family, including extensions, were all from around the Melbourne area, with John having been born in Staffs but obviously moving to Derbyshire on or before marriage..in fact in Derbyshire in the 1841 census.  He is working in Leics. in the 1851 census but still married to Lydia who remained in Melbourne and, in fact, died in Castle Street in Melbourne in 1858.  Thanks anyway; I shall probably park this later information on David in my 'Shoebox' as, providing I can get back a little further, I may find that they originally moved from Worcs...stranger things have happened!

DCB: It is interesting, however, that the 20 Feb 1802 baptism notes the 'Residence' as Stafford.  Perhaps this John is the one that moved away from the E. Midlands...maybe a cousin?  Thinks, more research will be coming up !! 

I shall, of course, let you all know if something definitive turns up, but I'll still count the Stafford baptism of Hannah Lydia in 1813 as the 'correct' one as far as my tree is concerned.

:-* :-*

lydiaann (no prized for guessing where my name comes from!!)

Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I thought I would double check the baptisms in FindMyPast and found that all of the baptisms in Wick are duplicated in Stafford.
Those in Wick are on an image. e.g.

Mary Sherwood baptised on 14th March in Wick and Stafford

Eliza Overbury baptised on 4th April 1813 in Wick and Stafford

Ann Phazey baptised on 11th April 1813 in Wick and Stafford

David

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 14:36 GMT (UK) »
DCB: How weird is that?  They are too far apart to be a part of combined parishes.  Are there images from BOTH parish record books, or just Wick's?  The mystery just seems to get deeper.

I notice that on the 2 transcripts you stated, John was the father on 20 Feb in Stafford and William the father in Wick on the 21 Feb.

Of course, it would appear that the one thing we do not have is a document pertaining to the marriage of the John Houghton and Lydia from the Worcs. area.  This might help to solve the puzzle as to whether or not we are talking two entirely separate families as it would give us a surname of the bride.  I can't find anything through Ancestry (the only site on which I am registered) or familysearch.org or freereg. 

I am giving up just now...wind damage in the garden means I now have to find room elsewhere for 3 ramblers that are 'homeless' as their pergola blew over!!  In the immortal words of Arnie: "I'll be back!"

Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 15:20 GMT (UK) »
My apologies, but the image of the baptisms is from Ancestry and is for the parish of Wick in Worcestershire.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I think there may be an error in the FindMyPast records. This has happened before, when a parish was given as the wrong county. I think it was when there were parish records and BTs for the same village.

I have sent a message to FindMyPast to point out the problem, although it takes a while to resolve.

David

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 16:13 GMT (UK) »
BUT the information quoted on FindMyPast is said to be from Family Search - however FS entry does state Wick, Worcestershire.   :-\ :-\ :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY