Author Topic: Walter welfare Conductor Indian Army Corp Clerks  (Read 595 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Walter welfare Conductor Indian Army Corp Clerks
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Loppy  I will be sending the info for ordering the overseas records via the private message system, as the names are potentially living folks, which cannot be put in this forum. You should get an email alert; or just check MY MESSAGES in the dark brown bar at the top of any forum page.

So far the best possible fit previously posted for a Walter Welfare  born around London shows a birth date of 1892, but several army records are saying his birth was in 1903, London, and the nearest to 1903 birth that could be found was the wrong area (per the army).
There is one entry that Freebmd  has for 1903 in Stepney that works, but there was no info, other than see "S/31".  Fortunately the transcriber has put a note that it appears to be a late entry, and is in the GRO for 1931!  The transcriber could see the mmn as Cowell, but the GRO is not listing that. (See below)

see here: https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?r=110049791:5576&d=bmd_1677511478

There is a marriage of William Welfare to Sarah Maria Cowell in Bethnal Green, in 1892:
Jun 1892   
COWELL    Sarah Maria  Bethnal Green    1c   485    
WELFARE    William      Bethnal Green    1c   485

I literally went around in circles for hours trying to peg this family down, and think I have figured it out.  The problem in searching them is, Sarah Maria started going by the first name of Caroline at some point between daughter Caroline's baptism, and the 1901 census.

The children I could find are as follows - the early ones don't seem to have Birth registrations, most have baptisms (images on Anc*), but haven't posted them all here:

Caroline: 1892 -  baptism gives dob as 05 Dec 1892 to parents William and Sarah Maria
Thomas: 1894 - dob from school records and various censuses. Possible death record states 25         
              Mar 1894    (baptism as an adult in 1907)
Harriet:  1885 - date from her marriage.
Frederick  - WELFARE, FREDERICK  WILLIAM      COWELL     
GRO Reference: 1900  J Quarter in STEPNEY  Volume 01C  Page 419

Walter - WELFARE, WALTER              
GRO Reference: 1931  S Quarter in STEPNEY  Volume 01C  Page 434

WELFARE, ALICE  LOUISA      COWELL     
GRO Reference: 1907  J Quarter in BETHNAL GREEN  Volume 01C  Page 176

WELFARE, JOHN        COWELL     
GRO Reference: 1909  J Quarter in BETHNAL GREEN  Volume 01C  Page 170
Baptism to parent William and Caroline, dob 08 Mar 1909

One would think that Sarah Maria passed away, and William remarried a Caroline, but the 1911 states they were married 18 years.  The baptisms for the youngest children, with GRO mmn Cowell show parents as Caroline and William....

Sarah Maria appears to be born a few years before her mother, Catherine Dobinson, married Thomas Cowell, and..... Catherine also started using the name Caroline in the 1891 census....  ??? ??? 

If this is the right family, they are all easy to trace forwards and backwards with the exception of some of their birth registrations.   I can't really explain why the mother and daughter both changed their first name to Caroline.... baffling!

And to make matters worse, the only GRO for a birth of Sarah Maria Dobinson, that fits (so far) has a mmn of Spickett.   :'(

Apologies for the long confusing post! Hopefully someone can see if I deviated somewhere!

Offline Delphia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter welfare Conductor Indian Army Corp Clerks
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 March 24 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Just come across these messages about Walter, who was my great uncle.  I can confirm the birth certificate gives a date of the 1st June 1903.