Author Topic: Windows 11  (Read 1275 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 11
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 11:00 GMT (UK) »
"Virtual desktops" have been around in Windows since Vista, though they have been upgraded quite a bit in Win10 and Win11. The idea is that you can group together applications, say one desktop for work stuff, one for FH, another for games. Unless you have a LOT of memory, it seems rather pointless, since switching between desktops requires an extra step above that needed to switch between application windows.

"Widgets" are those annoying extras which MS plonked into your Win10 taskbar without you asking, handing over your space (and other resources) for the weather, stocks and shares, newsfeeds, sport.....

Microsoft is VERY keen on pushing its own mail. They analyse your emails to figure out what sort of ads to push to you. Google have been doing just the same for years. Well done on using an offline mail client, allowing you to see your messages without ads stamping over them.

They also push Teams heavily. It used to be a business product, but then Microsoft bought out Skype and merged the two. Because there was much confusion while they were merging things, they lost out during the pandemic, when Zoom pretty much cornered the market outside businesses. The "Jackie Weaver" call was a great free ad for Zoom! Microsoft are trying to claw back this market by forcing Teams onto every machine with no method of removing it.

"Gamers" are quite a priority group for MS, because they are the most likely to pay full retail price for their copy of Windows. They are also most likely to put up with the ads which annoy the sane people. They make even more profit out of their games consoles, so Microsoft are careful to mention "Xbox" at every opportunity.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that helpful explanation.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 08:27 BST (UK) »
Today I have received an email from Dropbox <no-reply@em-s.dropbox.com> with the subject "ATTN: We recommend completing your Dropbox setup ASAP"

I have no idea what it is all about and was about to ask how I can stop receiving such emails that are of no interest to me. However, I have just seen the word "Unsubscribe" in smaller font at the end of the email, so that I shall do.

Clicking on "Unsubscribe", I have to log in / sign in, then untick everything that is of no interest to me in a personal account that I didn't want anyway. I signed out. I found a way to delete the account - but should I just leave it there dormant?

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 19:27 BST (UK) »
Today I have received an email from Dropbox <no-reply@em-s.dropbox.com> with the subject "ATTN: We recommend completing your Dropbox setup ASAP"

Clicking on "Unsubscribe", I have to log in / sign in, then untick everything that is of no interest to me in a personal account that I didn't want anyway. I signed out. I found a way to delete the account - but should I just leave it there dormant?

Check that the email IS ACTUALLY from Dropbox. This sort of thing is a common method used by annoying people to confirm that an email address is valid. They then sell their list of addresses to spammers.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 19:54 BST (UK) »
I had the same thought about this, but the dialogue at the link below indicates that it is real, although this doesn’t detract from your advice. I’ve left the link unshortened so that you can see that it genuinely goes to dropbox.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Security-and-Permissions/Identify-Spam-Email/td-p/658904
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 20:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 April 23 22:00 BST (UK) »
Another thing - every few days, or so it seems, something appears on the screen at the beginning inviting me to finish setting up the computer, with such things as Microsoft 365 (I think it's called) and linking my 'phone and some other things. I am not interested in any of that, so is there any way of preventing this invitation?

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 April 23 22:23 BST (UK) »
Look under Settings, System, Notifications. You can turn all sorts off there.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 April 23 22:36 BST (UK) »
Look under Settings, System, Notifications. You can turn all sorts off there.

Thank you very much for your help.